We're trying to buy a townhouse. Ben and I have been renting for nearly 11 years and we figure we're tired of wasting rent money every month and would like to actually put our money to our good rather than for someone else.
I knew the process of buying a home would be a pain. First of all, I married a teacher. A great teacher who loves his job and is great with his students and I'm so proud of him. However, he's not in it for the money and it's a good thing, too or we would be miserably disappointed. So, even though we've been married so long, we're still not able (in today's housing market in Cedar City which is absolutely ridiculous) to afford a regular home. Townhouses are in our price range and so that is where we need to start.
Friday we went and looked at a model here in town in the neighborhood where they are. Everything looked great. We talked with our realtor and our finance guy and everything looked in order. We made an offer.
Monday evening our realtor calls and says she was contacted by the owner. Their counter-offer came back way higher than anticipated. And now they say that their base price is higher than they told us. They man who showed us the model told us a certain price, he showed us the same certain price on the map layout of the neighborhood, and told us the unit we were picking was the same certain price. Then when the owner calls our realtor he says it isn't so!
I don't know if they are deliberately dishonest or not, or if the man showing us the model didn't know what he was talking about, but either way it's frustrating. I think it's so wrong that you can't take anyone's word anymore, that everything comes down to what you have on paper. Why is that?
So now we're waiting for our realtor to get in touch with the seller and work things out. It's such a frustrating process that it's hard not to get so discouraged and just want to chuck it out the window.
Sorry about the spiel. It just makes me so mad when someone says one thing and does another! Especially with something this big and important.
7 comments:
How very, very rude and frustrating! What is going on with the world these days, that people can get away with being dishonest and coniving.
I remember buying our house and it seemed to be one thing after another. When we finally were ready to sign the papers, they wanted an extra $2,000, what no way how could we come up with that in a moments notice? Anyways it all worked out and we have our house. Granted it is not that big, or new and we live out here in the boonies. But we love it and it is ours. We have done so much to it, landscaped, painted, patio, fence, remodeled the kitchen and so on, it is ours. We would never be able to afford anything now, if we were having to buy a house.
Have you guys looked at an older home? Would those be in your price range? It is worth a look, especially if this doesn't work out with the townhome. Anyways best of luck and keep us posted.
Melissa - thanks for your understanding. Heaven forbid they ask us for $2,000 when we sign. Like I said, I married a teacher!
The market is really gone sour for us. I don't even think an older home is in our price range. One of the reason the townhouses are is because the lot their on isn't really much of a lot. Lot prices are still out of the ball park for us. We're just trying to be patient and not get angry. I just hate this game and it's rules!
Yikes! That's horrible! How can they do that??
Sigh. If I stay in Cedar after my two-year "contract" at work expires, I'm thinking of buying, probably a town home. I'm not really looking forward to the process now that I know what a hassle it can be!
Good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out.
how frustrating! My husband is going to school to be a teacher too, and I'm not looking forward to buying someplace to live. If that ever happens. Sarah O. just bought a townhouse a few months ago, I think she had to go through the process twice.
ps I don't know what the markets like in Cedar, but lots of young couples in our ward owned these homes that were on lots like townhouses (almost touching other houses and no yard) and they were in the 300,000 range! OUr rent even went up by $100 every year, which is one reason we moved! Its crazy these days finding a place to live.
Real estate agents are very large turds in horrible pink shirts.
Gregg - it's actually the seller/owner who is a very large turd in a pink shirt. Our real estate agent is a very peppy woman in high heels.
Post a Comment