Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Pancakes

The following is a simple list of do's and don'ts for pancake making on a school morning.

Don't attempt to make a new recipe.

Don't try to separate egg whites from egg yolks with your hands; use the egg shell.

Don't try to get eggs whites fluffy for the very first time when you're in a hurry.

Don't forget two of the four eggs in the recipe and have to add them and make more rushed egg whites.

Don't tell your kids you're not having pancakes after already telling them you were.

Do listen to and watch their reactions when you do: whimpering and head being put down in a pout, Riley; "Why, Mom?"and a foot stomp, Carter; and last but not least "Ugh!" and a stomp down the hallway, Melanie.

Don't let your sarcasm get in the way.

Do let them eat the really ugly pancakes anyway.

Don't take your mother shopping and realize until you get home at 12:45 you left the electric griddle turned to 400 instead of to off.

Do realize it's a mistake you've never made before and not freak out.

Do realize you're grateful the house didn't burn down during the said forgetful period.

Don't beat yourself up because your older brother who NEVER remembers where his keys are makes better pancakes than you.

Don't post a picture of said pancakes. It would be too embarrassing!

I think I'll stick with cold cereal.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

For that very reason, I use the Krusteaz mix. It is easier(all you have to do is add water and oil)and quicker. I don't make to many thing from scratch, although I really should learn, in case I ever have too. Better luck next time, if there is a next time.

julie said...

That was funny! Sorry, but it was! I also don't make pancakes from scratch - I don't even have a recipe - but I've had some dang good homemade pancakes that I have a hard time believing I could replicate them. Wait...did that sentance make sense? I hope so. I think you should post a picture. For the sake of posterity. Some day you'll make fab pancakes and wish you could remember what those not-so-good ones looked like. :)

Gregg said...

At least you have learned from the Master!

Mellissa said...

Melissa - I usually make homemade pancakes and they turn out fine. It was this recipe...maybe Gregg is playing a late April Fool's Day joke (not really, Gregg!)
Julie - unfortunately when I got home this afternoon to find my griddle still on, I realized I left the pancakes out on the counter all morning and threw them in the garbage before taking a picture. Drat!
Gregg - Master, forgive my inept pancake prowess. I shall improve!

tearese said...

awe, I was waiting for the picture. You're so domestic; I'm impressed no matter how they turned out!