Monday, April 14, 2008

Nightmare

So here's how my Sunday evening/early Monday morning went today.

Melanie comes in our bedroom at 10:29, about half and hour after Ben and I went to bed. She's frantic and scared, like she had a bad dream.

Ben: "Ahhh!!" Apparently Melanie bursting through our door scared him.

Melanie: "Ahhh!!!" Apparently her father screaming at her in the middle of the night also frightens her.

Ben: "AHHHHH!!!" Apparently Melanie screaming in the middle of the night also scares Ben!

Melanie: "AHHHHHHHH!!!!!" She solidifies the fact that her father screaming at her in the middle of the night frightens her!

Mellissa: "What is going on?" I hear and watch the whole thing without screaming. I didn't think the situation needed any more yelling.....

12:09 in the morning: I finally get Melanie to fall asleep in her own bed after sitting with her for 45 minutes. Ben gave her a blessing, too. Had he not had to get up at 5:00 a.m. to head to Panguitch, I would have had him sitting with her, since he's the one who screamed at her!

By the way, this isn't the first time those two have scared each others socks off in the middle of the night. In January of 2007 Carter was in the hospital with a concussion. I was staying with him in the hospital and Ben was home with Melanie and Riley. Well, Ben made the unfortunate mistake of watching Terminator 3: Rise of Machines before going to bed. So when Melanie wandered into our room in the middle of the night, Ben assumed she was the terminator and was there to... well... terminate him. I'm sure last night was deja vu for those two!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That's too funny! James never wakes up when the kids come into the bedroom, although if they came screaming, he might. Speaking of kids coming into your room, Logan has been waking up and wanting me to go and sit with him, or spray the monster spray in his room(this is done before he goes to bed, so I don't know why he needs it a 1:00am). It is real fun! NOT!

tearese said...

Yeah, Joseph never hears when the kids are awake, its really annoying. You guys go to bed so early! Like three hours before we do. Yeah, we need to stop that.

julie said...

I can just picture this scene playing out! How funny!

Do your kids wake up a lot during the night? In general, do most kids? I remember having nightmares when I was a kid, but I never went into my parents' room. I just suffered in silence, well, I'd sing Primary songs like I'd been taught. That worked most of the time.

Tee hee. I just visualized Ben and Melanie screaming again. It makes me laugh. Were you laughing or were you too tired?

You're such a nice wife to let Ben sleep even though he contributed to Melanie being up. :)

Mellissa said...

Julie - I don't know if most kids have nightmares, but Melanie is a sleepwalker and she has a very active imagination and she is scared of the dark. Ben says she reminds him of when he was little.

It startled me when they were screaming at each other, but I didn't join in. I kept thinking, "You're going to wake up the boys!" They slept through the whole drama.

I'm usually not the nice wife, but I am a morning person and Ben is not, so occasionally I take it easy on him.

Mellissa said...

Melissa - I'm sorry you're spraying monsters at 1:00 a.m. My kids will go through spurts of waking in the night. Usually they are good sleepers.

Tearese - You think Joseph never hears the kids when they wake up. It's a sneaking husband conspiracy. I'd bet money ALL husbands hear the kids wake up - they're just better at feigning sleep than us!

My kids DO NOT sleep in. They are usually up by 6:30 no matter what time they go to bed. So, I stick them to bed earlier so they'll get enough rest. We've always done it that way so thank goodness there aren't many complaints!

julie said...

My mom shared your philosophy when I was a kid. We were always in bed around 8 until we got older. The first time I stayed up 'til 10pm on a weeknight wasn't 'til I was in 8th or 9th grade and I remember thinking it was really cool.