Saturday, April 5, 2008

Stupid School Stuff

Why, oh why, do they make going to college so difficult? As if we don't have enough to worry about without all the dumb little things they make us do.

So now (I think for several years, actually) they have this Library Media class. Fine. They also have a University Studies class that goes along with it. Fine. One is the first eight weeks of the semester, the other is the last eight weeks. OK. But you can't register for the University Studies class through the Registrar's Office. You have to do it through the Student Success Center. But they don't tell you that.

Also, there were three class I needed for my major that when I registered online it said I needed instructor's permission. I get that they can't have people signing up for classes that only have limited space for majors and minors in that degree. So I went to get signatures for them and Dr. Stitt mentioned Dr. Frezza, the Academic Advisor for College of Performing & Visual Arts, could register me online for those classes. He did, and that was nice. But don't you think with all the lovely technology we have at our fingertips they could find a way to link Tnumbers with students names who have been admitted into the music program, so the system would know if they are allowed to register for certain classes?

Not to mention that tuition has gone up since I last attended. Yes, that was eight years ago, but heavens, I married a teacher. Happily, I might add. My tuition is double what is was when last I attended. I guess that's what happens when the university is one of the Top 10 in the nation; they raise tuition. Oh, well.... the drama of college life. At least I don't have to worry about dating!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Bummer, that you had to go through all that hassle just to end up doing it online afterall. Glad that it all worked out. I don't even think that I would know were to start, if I went back to school. You Go Girl! And thank heavens you don't have to date!;)

tearese said...

yes, I wonder what school would be like not worrying about the social aspect. I suppose my husband does much better academically than if he'd attended when single. In fact, I know he does.
Yeah, he had to retake a bunch of classes 'cause his AA degree from Washington wouldn't transfer completely. Plus he had to take a bunch of computer tech classes before he got in the teacher program. Lots of trouble.

Mellissa said...

Melissa - I am just jumping in because that's the only place I know where to start. I am excited. I just wish sometimes it wasn't such a hassle.
Tearese - I was married the one semester I went back in 2001. It was the first 4.0 I ever received. Just goes to show what happens when you can focus on your studies and not your social life. Thank goodness I haven't had to worry about transferring credits - it's silly they don't transfer more from school to school.

Anonymous said...

This makes me laugh, reading about all of the "hoops" you have to go through. Each year they have implemented more and more hurdles for students, it's kind of bizarre because it seems like they take the solutions for the most vocal/problematic students and apply them to the entire student body, thus making it more difficult for every student to get through school. I've never understood, but I've always been glad that I got through school before they started implementing all of the "nonsense" courses.

julie said...

I can't figure out if I'm glad I have to worry about dating or not. I mean, I'm glad that I'm actually dating - that's a vast improvement from the decade or so (only a slight exaggeration) of no dates at all. On the other hand, it sure is complicated.

I've never gone to school while married, but I noticed that I was a lot more focused when I went back to school after taking a long time off. And, by then most of the guys were too young for me, so I didn't really have to worry about the social aspect of it. At least, not the DATING part of it (though I did meet and date a guy for a couple months at one poing). I loved meeting new people and making friends. I miss that about school.