Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Simple Things

This post is most likely due to my husband's slightly nerdy (in a cute way) attraction to science rubbing off on me.

I was watching Fetch with Ruff Ruffman (we don't have cable - I watch a lot of PBS) with my kids the other day. OK, OK, so I was alone watching Fetch. Well, the kids on the show had to make a magnet. They took a nail, some wiring, and a big battery and made a magnet. Maybe it's because I didn't pay attention in school, maybe it's because I forget things easily, but I thought that was so cool how they made a magnet.

Also, today I was popping popcorn on the stove. I truly love air-popped popcorn - it smells and tastes so good! Anyway, as I'm standing there watching the kernels get hot and sizzle I think about how cool it is that a kernel can turn into that lovely light and airy piece of popcorn. I couldn't think of another food that changes quite like popcorn does.

So, is it just me, or are any of you fascinated by the simple things of nature and science?

5 comments:

tearese said...

yeah, science is cool. We used to get Scientific American and Popular Science magazines, before we decided we had too many magazine subscriptions.
But Ruff Rufman really annoys me. I hate how the kids talk to him like he's a real person. (We watch PBS all day too, even though we have free cable with our apt.) Luckily its on while everyone is taking naps.w

Cardine said...

That is cool. I don't ever remember learning about how magnets are made. I must have been sick that day.

Melissa said...

My boys never cease to amaze me and what they know about that "simple things". I think that as I get older I really forget those things. It is important to take some time and enjoy the litte things that we take for granted.

*What has been decided on for a get together?

Mellissa said...

Tearese - I understand about the annoyance about the kids talking to an animated dog like he's real, but I like some of the things they learn on the show.

Cardine - Yeah, I didn't apply myself in school, thus the not remembering much of anything.

Melissa - Isn't it great the things that boys will figure out? I used to say it was just in the way they're raised, but I take it back!

Lori Clark said...

All we watch is PBS too, Jael's favorite is "Word Girl" I think that is what she will be for Halloween, I just trying to decide if Lindsey will be Captin Huggy Face, or if I'll just reuse Jael's old Ladybug costume.

Everytime Lindsey sees a monkey she says "George", Curious George is the only show that keeps her attention for more than 30 seconds.