You know, for the most part, I'm OK jumping through the hoops necessary to graduate. I have no problem with G.E. requirements, I get the Library Media class, even though UNIV 1000 was a ridiculous class, I'll swallow it. But this new one is really, um.... ludicrous.
Back in 2000 I enrolled for one semester at SUU. I took English 2010, French, Intro to Music and a Math class. All my credits are still good, except for math because it was not a gen ed class. Fine. Since then SUU has raised the bar considerably for English gen ed. Previously, students with an ACT sub-score of 17 or below were required to enroll in English 1010 prior to taking English 2010. Now the requirements are students with an ACT sub-score of 29 or higher may take English 2010, those with sub-scores above 17 are required to take English 1010 prior to English 2010. Sure, I get that they've raised the bar.
The funny thing is that my English 2010 credit is still good, but since they've raised the bar I still have to take English 1010. Are they kidding me? The only class requiring 1010 is 2010, and I've already taken it! I could literally get through my entire college degree, upper-division English credits and all, and the only reason I would be required to take English 1010 is because the gen ed's say so.
My plan is to wait until then, when I've been able to get to know the department better, and hopefully persuade the department chair to let it slide. Otherwise, I'll have a really easy class my senior year.
9 comments:
I agree. That is a bit silly. I think you are wise to wait.
I think every University/college has some ludicrous requirement like that. Let me tell you, we KNOW about those things.
That is so ridiculous! I totally get raising the bar and all, but if you've already taken 2010!! Crazy. Good plan. Either way, you're on top.
How could you take 2010 w/o 1010? I have a story that pertains... Here Lance is, a bona fide ER doctor (resident) and the scouts want him to take a 3 month course to teach first aid!! Seriously, he was appauled! He said he couldn't do it, just for how ludicrous it was. An ER doc? C'mon now? For the boy scouts in our ward? Do they not see the sense it DOESN'T make? Hmmmmm....
To make it more clear...In order to teach the boy scouts first aid he would have to take a 3 month course. It didn't make sense how I had it written. I say give yours time, maybe they'll turn around. But then, that would make sense....
Julie, Tearese, Julie M., Lori A. - Yeah, a bit ridiculous. Thank you for your sympathy.
Lori A. - The reason I could take 2010 without 1010 is because the requirements were different when I went back in 2000, and now the requirements have changed for getting into 2010. It's really insane.
I'm sure you could get them to wave that class, either in the department or at the main office, I got them to do all kinds of things when I was there.
Lori C. - I am hoping they let it slide, but I'm not sure. I might just take it and get it over with. I'm a glutton for punishment.
I totally agree that it is absolutely silly they would do this to you!! Hey I need your e-mail address so I can add you as a reader to my blog. I am going to make it private and I have to invite you via e-mail. My email is kgilvear@hotmail.com. So please e-mail your e-mail :) Thanks!!!
Post a Comment