Monday, November 10, 2008

Follow-Up On Randomness

I just thought I'd do an update on what happened with the rest of my random week. Here goes:

1. Hallelujah! FASSST Week is over! We were required to go to three conferences. One of the three was great - the one on self defense. It changed the way I carry my purse. And I now have some defense when Ben pulls one of his wrestling moves on me. But the other two - good grief! One was a conference on eating healthy and doing so cheap. The instructor, (who happens to also be the UNIV 1000 instructor that drove me crazy all semester, and railed on cell phones and their usage in class and how she would take them away if she saw one during her class) actually answered her cell phone while she was teaching the conference and a student was answering a question! I thought I was going to die. The woman has serious issues. Like I was telling a friend today, I respect her because that's what I should do with everyone, but she makes it really hard for me to like her. I guess the only thing I learned during the conference was a good thing. Lin's Supermarket gives a 10% discount to SUU students. Cool, huh?

2. I have been experiencing headaches consistently since I started school. I got my eyes checked (I have astigmatism, which I already knew I had, and I am far-sighted) and bought glasses (since then I've um...misplaced them). The glasses didn't seem to help at all. In fact, they just made things seem like they were in 3-D when I walked around with them on. I racked my brain trying to figure out what was causing the headaches. Can you believe it? I had been chewing too much gum?! I haven't had a piece of gum in about three weeks, and funny coincidence, no headaches either. Too bad, I LOVE gum.

3. One of the only things I'm not looking forward to with school is driving, parking, and walking in the wetness. I don't have any kind of snow/rain boots at the moment, and here in Cedar I better move fast or they'll all be gone!

4. I paid the stupid $10 ticket. Too bad I didn't know a parking permit was only $12.

5. I have since not mentioned wearing the ring Tina gave me instead of my wedding ring. Sorry, Ben. I love you!

6. I voted, but Obama won. Sure, I'd like change. I just don't know if I'd like it involving Obama and his pink unicorn. Visit jibjab.com if you don't know what I mean. No offense meant to Obama supporters.

7. Hallelujah II! I passed my LM 1010 test-out exam with an A. It's so great to have that out of the way.

Well, thanks for listening. I'm off to do Math homework. Radical exponents. Radical? Sure. ;)

8 comments:

loriallen said...

Radical!!! Lands' End has some great boots in their Overstocks Section. I just checked online. You could check those out. I have glassed too for astigmatism. I don't wear them as often as I need them, but you would get use to the 3-D effect after a while, or not, and then I would be wrong... Sorry about the ticket. Remember the cop that gave you a ticket and you weren't even speeding, and then gave me the ticket, but I was speeding? Oooooh...82 dollars later... Good about no headaches, bad about no gum...and the professor????? Makes you wonder, I mean really wonder ... See I would have made a complaint. I know that's terrible, but I figured that I am forking out all this money, NOT for her personal time!!!!EEK! Good to hear you are still going crazy! Hey at least you're going somewhere. I'll meet you there!!

Lori Clark said...

So, how do you carry your purse now?

Mellissa said...

Lori A. - You see, I could take an entire post and rant and rave (not in a positive light) about that insane teacher. One day, I'll email you and you can roll your eyes as you read about her insanity.

Lori C. - I have a purse with a long strap that I used to strap across my shoulder and then it hangs on the opposite side of my body, like Steph carries her purse. Karlee said that's the easiest way to get choked by a perpetrator. Lovely, huh?

superguy said...

Radicals are extremely Radical however in exponents they are even more so. :D. Was this professor dendrite?

Mellissa said...

Superguy - Don't even mention the word "dendrite" around me. It will cause me to post a post about my insane UNIV 1000 teacher who says things like, "Time is an industrial concept in and of itself." Don't ask.

You were totally right about two thumbs up for Professor Brandt. He is a great math teacher. He is Radical. Hah. (Note to self: Do not attempt math humor.)

tearese said...

Eh, I never had rain/snow boots at SUU; you learn to deal with the wetness. I walked from my house every day too!
That instructor sounds like a punk...at least I feel like I can complain about cell phones when I don't have one.
I get headaches when I don't wear my retainer to bed (I had braces my junior/senior years in college).
Congratulations on the test!

julie said...

What is FASSST week? I'm not sure they had it when I was there (two years ago!). Or maybe I just didn't realize it was going on??? I wasn't really active in school activities.

I'm glad your headaches have lessened. I've just started chewing gum, and I hope I don't start getting them!

I never wore snow boots either - in fact I usually wore the same shoes I wore to the office. Not very warm. Like Tearese said, though, if you pay attention and don't mind your feet getting a little cold, you may be fine without them.

Congrats on passing the test!!!

Mellissa said...

Tearese - If I were the kind who could handle a little wet and cold feet it would be fine. But I'm not. I'm a wimp, and if my feet are cold the rest of my body is cold and the day just stinks.

One day, when I have lots and lots of time to vent, I will post about all the crazy things that teacher said and did. Believe me, that post could go on and on!

Yeah, braces made my teeth straight, but they sure messed up the rest of my mouth. My jaw has never been the same since then.

Julie - FASSST Week stands for some stupid thing they make freshmen do. We had to go to three conferences, the majors fair, and have "mandatory advising." It was such a total waste of my time.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the gum - at least for a while. I never used to have a problem, it's just finally catching up with me.

Like I told Tearese, I am a wimp if I get wet feet. Lands End had some cute and decently priced snow boots, but of course, they didn't have my size. Oh, well.