Friday, November 14, 2008

Air Quotes

The other day Melanie was explaining the idea of air quotes to her cousin, *John. She explained as best she could how to use air quotes in a conversation and gave John an example such as, "People might think they're "cool" if they use them."

Well, John kind of got the idea, but not quite because he walked into the room where his cousin *Suzie was and said to Melanie, "Suzie has pretty "hair"." Oh, children and air quotes, what a funny combination.

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent. Yes, Suzie is the same puking Suzie from the sleepover-vomiting escapade.

5 comments:

loriallen said...

Here I go showing my ignorance- What the heck are air quotes? Love the fine print!!! Vomiting escapade? Wowzer, maybe Suzie should be a friend "at school only!"

julie said...

That's funny! My niece and nephew haven't discovered the use of air quotes yet. Maybe I'll try teaching them and see if anything funny results! :)

Melissa said...

I love what kids come up with! That is too funny!

Mellissa said...

Lori A. - Air quotes are when you use your fingers in the air as you're saying something (with me it's usually something sarcastic or ridiculous). Like if I were to say, "Lori Allen is "normal," I would put my fingers in the air (like bunny ears) and bend them. I'm sure you know what they are, just maybe not what the name was. And Suzie is a cousin, so we're OK with her - even if she does puke.

Julie & Melissa - I love the funny things kids do and say. Sometimes I feel bad because I'll laugh at Melanie when she wasn't intentionally funny. I just can't help it sometimes.

loriallen said...

Thank you for clarifying. I know I overuse airquotes. Some for fun, I have to say. I am glad Suz is a cousin.