A few months ago I was called to be the Ward Choir Director. I have never directed anything besides Primary children, and they don't care if you're conducting in time or not. Anyway, I was really nervous and apprehensive about his calling. I play flute so I can read the treble clef, but as far as the bass clef goes, I have no idea!
I am loving this calling! Especially during this season where we are beginning to sing Christmas music. And I tell you, my choir is amazing. They can pull together a number beautifully and it just give me cold chills. For Christmas this year we are singing three numbers: Still, Still, Still arranged by Norman Luboff, an arrangement of What Child Is This? by Sally DeFord, and O Come O Come Immanuel arranged by Lin Allen (I think, the music is upstairs and I'm not 100% sure of his first name). Oh, the songs are great.
The bittersweet part is that I don't get to sing along. I miss that. I do love watching the members of the choir come together and work hard. They can bring the spirit to what we are doing.
I just wanted to blog about this because today has not been one of the best days, but going to choir was a high. It made me forget everything else and feel the spirit. I am so grateful for my calling and those who come to choir and share their talent with us!
8 comments:
What a fun calling. How cool that you get to pick the music. I LOVE Still, Still, Still, and I'm glad the music gave you a pick-me-up.
I love the songs. Good choices. I hear ya on that sista. I'm a singer, I want to sing! But many times, I have had to make myself shut my mouth, because I would be seriously tempted to sing. They (I don't know who they are) say that it's kinda hard to hear the choir when you're singin' with 'em!!!
I love those songs too, I loved going to choir, until I got choir overload in the 2nd ward and then had kids, maybe someday I can go again.
what a cool calling for you! I would be terrified, but then I can't really read music. Even though I was in a performing Institute choir in Seattle for two years. Yeah, I had to fake it.
My calling is to make the ward bulletin. Not so bad at all.
Laurel - It really is a fun calling, but I find picking the music the hardest part! Hymns are OK, but I'm not big on listening to "church" music so I don't know what is good. I get a lot of good ideas from my choir. I would rather let them choose, anyway.
Lori A. - I usually mouth the words, but find that when I do that I tend to start singing along. I have to be careful.
Lori C. - I totally get what you mean about choir overload, but since being set apart for this calling it makes all the difference.
Tearese - I was terrified at first, but realized that not everyone in the choir knows everything, and some are learning right along with me. I only feel bad because they are my guinea pigs! Ah, the ward bulletin. You lucky girl.
I'm so glad you're enjoying this calling! I'm not going to tell your bishop, though. He'd be so smug! :)
Let me know when your choir program is, and I'll try to make it! It would be nice to go to that ward again and I'd love to hear your choir sing! :)
I am glad you like your calling. It is one I have never had and I think it would scare me to death!
Julie M. - Yes, PLEASE, don't tell my bishop for he is as smug as necessary at the moment, the twerp. Our Christmas Program is the 21 of December and I would LOVE for you to come!
Julie H. - I was so nervous about this calling at first because there is a lot about music I don't know very well, but I'm learning a lot as I go along and the choir members teach me every week.
Post a Comment