I'm afraid if I blog about everything about my first day it truly will be a novel, so I'll try to keep it short and sweet.
I love school.
I feel old there.
There were 1400 incoming freshmen this year.
That equals 1400 perky 18-year-old people all over.
I'm more confident so I feel more comfortable striking up a conversation with the person sitting next to me.
I feel like a nerd because I'm enjoying it way too much.
I've met at least two people in every class except for math.
Their names are Stephanie, Toni, Amy, Nicole, Megan, Samantha, Paige, Jo, Amy, Natalie, Heather, and Carly.
Toni is the only male I've officially met.
I'm thankful I'm good with names.
My professors and teachers seem very nice.
I'm taking a Nutrition class, History 1700, Math 1010, and UNIV 1000 and LM 1010.
The UNIV 1000 isn't as dumb as I thought it would be.
I'm tired.
My backpack is heavy.
I'm getting up at 5:30 a.m.
I'm fine with that.
I get a lot accomplished during the day.
I need to go to bed.
OK, Carter's first day of Kindergarten was today! I was a space case mom and forgot to snap a photo. I swore I was not going to be one of those parents who takes a million pictures of their first kid and by the time they get to their last there are none. I have one photo of myself at six months and nothing else until 1st grade.
Carter was a little nervous to go, but mostly excited. The funny thing was Melanie was more nervous than both of us. She kept saying, "Mom, I'm nervous for Carter." You could just see it in her body language how she was mother henning him. It was cute and funny.
He said the bus ride was the best, once he got over being nervous. They have a big dinosaur slide at recess, and he said he was the best behaved student in class. Uh-huh. To fib or not to fib?
This week has been so busy for our family. Ben started his new job yesterday, too. He loves teaching but finds it difficult when he is:
a) teaching P.E. with no indoor phys. ed. facilities and only basketball hoops outside
b) has no student edition of the textbooks, only teacher editions where all the answers are
c) has to go to a different building across town to make copies
d) doesn't have a computer yet
These are just kinks that will eventually be worked out. I'm just glad he truly loves teaching or he would be crazy. Or crazier.
Riley's funnies for the week are as follows: When Ben and I told him no about something this morning he said, "That's not fair, big people!" When he found a coin on Grandma Jeanne's driveway he picked it up and said, "It's my lucky day."
10 comments:
I am glad you had a good first day. I was thinking about both you and Carter and hoped all was going well!
Sounds like you had a big day! I am very impressed with your ability to remember names...wow. I bet it is really fun to be back at school but I can imagine the feeling old. Those eighteen year olds look SOOO young!BTW It is fun to read your blog:)
Sounds like all went well the first day. I am glad that you are enjoying school!
Has it been nice to have two kids in school now? I now have three in school, Logan goes to preschool two days a week. YEAH!
Ok, I'm officially a little envious. I know it won't last long once you start having to do homework every evening 'til December...but even then...there's something amazing about being in school and learning every day. I don't think it's nerdy to enjoy it, but then again, maybe I'm a nerd too! Maybe.
I hope you have a fabulous semester and let me know when you change your mind about taking a french class.
Julie H. - Thanks for thinking of us. Carter did wonderfully and is enjoying kindergarten so far.
Kiersten - I'm very grateful I remember names, but for the most part it's short term. I could see this people in a year and totally forget their names. They do look really young! There was a girl in one class talking to another girl because they were from the same high school but didn't know each other. The one asked when the other graduated and she said 2006. I swear my jaw hit the table!
Melissa - It feels good but crazy to have two in school. Melanie is not a big deal, but I have to pick up Carter every day and try to get to my next class on time. I think next semester I will try having a two-hour break for picking up Carter.
Julie M. - I really love the break from my world of cartoons, diapers, and macaroni and cheese. My brain is not going to be as mushy as before. And, I wish I really knew how to say 'that's not going to happen' in French, because now that I'm doing a BS, there is no more foreign language! Sorry, mon ami. I'm sure I used the wrong my there.
Thanks for the update! There was so much I wanted to comment on, and now I can't remember what. Elora doesn't get to go to school till she's almost six...at least she'll be the smartest one in her class.
What is Ben's teaching degree in, again?
When Joseph went to college when we first got married, he hadn't been to school since Highschool 10 years earlier and he was so nervous.
He loves school too; my only advice to him was to not be one of those really annoying non-traditional students that all the younger kids don't like.
I think he does it anyway, but thats just his personality.
I suppose if it was me going back, I would be too...I answered all the questions even when I was 18!
I hope you keep enjoying it!
You were really close - you got the "my" right, just not the gender of "friend", mon amie.
Sigh. I knew it was a losing battle, but it would have been uber cool to have someone with whome I could talk in French. And, just so you know, I got a BS and still took French; however, it was my minor. :)
Did you know that whome is spelled with an "e" in some English-speaking countries? No??? Well, now you do.
Good grief - I really should proof-read comments before posting them!
Tearese - I've never been one to answer all the questions, but sometimes it's really hard not to when I know the answer. If I've already answered a question in class I try not to answer another one and give somebody else a chance to pipe in. I really hope I'm not one of those annoying non-traditional students, I just think I have a different perspective on my college education than most freshmen. But I'd rather be the annoying non-traditional student than the really obnoxious freshman. Don't even get me started!
Julie M. - Thanks for trying. I actually really enjoying foreign language. I liked taking French as much as German. Now that SUU no longer requires a minor, I'm focusing on my major. And doing secondary education doesn't leave much room for extras. Especially since I'm starting my major with Math 1010. And I figured there was a story behind the whome. I don't think I've ever noticed a spelling error in your anything!
SUU no longer requires a minor? Weird. I guess not that weird. Because my major was Art Composite, I didn't have a minor either.
Post a Comment