Now that I'm going back to school, I'm trying to get registered and things. I'm sure I've complained about this before, but sometimes it seems they just make going to college harder than it needs to be.
Since it's been longer than two years since I last attended, some of my credits are void. What a rip off. I know it's been time since I went, but the classes they are making me take are ones I could pick up where I left off instead of doing them over. My math class for example, I could get through. However, my French class, which I would drown in if I tried to take French II, is still good. Explain that one, please?
They've also raised the bar in the English department. If your subscore for the ACT test wasn't 29 or above, you have to take ENGL 1010 AND ENGL 2010. Well, back in 2000, I took ENGL 2010 and passed (I have to brag here because during my first semester at college, I earned a 4.0 GPA) with flying colors. But it's like none of that matters.
So my choices are to either take the classes over again (which for me would mean taking the MATH 0990 class - seriously!) or to test out. I am taking the Accuplacer Test this Thursday, which should place me in the appropriate math class. I'm not expecting to place over the MATH 1050, just get into that class. I'm a little worried about the test, because Ben got a review sheet online that gave some sample questions from the Accuplacer Test. For example:
If the average of three numbers is V, and one of the numbers is Z and another is Y, what is the remaining number?
Those of you who know this stuff just humor us who don't for a minute. I did eventually figure it out, with Ben's help. Too bad I can't sneak him in there with me on Thursday! My question is - and I said this in high school, but after 11 years of marriage and three kids I can honestly ask - When am I going to use this?! SERIOUSLY!
OK, enough ranting. Just cross your fingers for me, please.
6 comments:
I wish you the best of luck with the test! We all know how I am at math! (At least my kids got Sam's math brain!) I don't think I could graduate with a BA again if I had to start all over. (Or at least it would take me MANY years and tons of tutoring to do so!) You will do great! (Do you get your score right then or do you have to wait a few days?)
Good Luck...don't worry it will all come back to you.
Let me know how it goes.
3V-Z-Y :)
Although it would be nice to just call it X. There are good tutors available at the school if the math gets too tough and I or Jane can help as well. Actually you could hire Jane and I could set up the computer to work it out. Good luck though and I hope it doesn't overwhelm you.
we went through that when Joseph transfered here. He didn't even have a gap in his schooling, but he had to take tests for stuff anyway. He did have to take some math classes over again.
Ooo, ooo - I'll help you with your french!!! It would be so wonderful to have someone with whom I could practice speaking french! Please say you're going to take it!
I had some transfer issues, too. Plus, while I was on my mission, all the Utah schools changed from quarters to semesters, so it was fun trying to figure out exactly how many credits I had.
Good luck with the tests - I'm sure you'll be just fine! And, it may turn out to be useful to retake some classes, make you feel more comfortable. I took Math 1010 even though I didn't "have to" because it had been so long since I'd had a math class. I didn't ever regret it.
Julie H. - I'm lucky I'm surrounded by brainy boys (Ben, Abe, Sam). I'm actually really excited to go back. I don't know what to expect because the last time I went I just had Melanie and we were living with my parents. Thank goodness we're still not living with them, but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to clean my house while I'm going to school! Also, the test adjusts to my answers as I go along. The more answers I get correct, the harder the test gets. And the professors in the math department have it adjusted to their classes, so they know what grades from the test fit into what classes. I will also find immediately where I place. Thank goodness!
Steph - Thanks! I will let you know as soon as I know. I miss you! I haven't seen you in a while. We need to get together before I really start the insanity!
Superguy - Can you see me sticking out my tongue at you and giving you a roll of the eyes? Well, you should! Thanks for the offer from you and Jane. It might be something to consider. Ben could help to, but I don't know if our computers would hook up right. I'm not too overwhelmed, just trying to dust off my brain.
Tearese - What a bunch of garbage that Joseph didn't even have a gap in his schooling and he had to take tests. Ick.
Julie M. - I'm sorry to say I don't know if I'll be taking French again. It depends on if I decide to get a BS or a BA. But, you're always gone, so who would help me out and when would we speak French? Besides, it's been so long that my French and my German start running together. I was going to say "too bad" in French but all I could think of was "Est tut mir leid" which is supposed to mean "too bad" in German, but I still think I slipped some French in there anyway! I wouldn't mind taking Math 1010 over again, I just don't want to be stuck in the Math 0990 class. I know I won't be, but it still frightens me to go back that far!
Post a Comment