I have decided to major in math. Yes, I know. Believe me, I know. And I really was scared to tell anyone because my brainy brother-in-law majored in math, and he's a lot smarter than I am, and even he struggled through some of the coursework. Honestly, I'm quite intimidated by the whole prospect, but I just can't stop thinking about it.
I was never good at math in high school - for two reasons. One, I didn't apply myself. Sluffing Algebra twice a week didn't help my grades any. Two, I didn't have very good teachers. Poor teachers didn't help my grades either. But when I went to college it was a different story. I had a great teacher and I worked hard. Did you know that I went from a D (mostly because I was signed into the class about two weeks after it started and so I was missing homework that killed my grade) to an A in that class? I even got the high score on the Math final at the end of the semester. From that point on I realized I can do math. I just have to have confidence in myself and be a hard worker.
I would like to break the cycle of poor math teachers. I don't know if it's something I can do, but I have to try. I think my experience with thinking I'm not very good at math brings something new to the table. I don't think I ever had a math teacher who wasn't always good at math. And I think for the most part when a certain subject comes naturally to someone, it makes it hard to teach. Does that make sense? And for students like myself, I KNOW how they feel. And I know it's possible to improve and have a positive attitude about the way you look at math.
That's my plan. It's really going to be trial by fire because I'm starting at the bottom with Math 1010. But like I said, it helps me be a better teacher that way. I don't know if it will all work out. Who knows, maybe I'll love it more than anything else I've done. I just have to be patient and see what happens!
11 comments:
what a great way to look at it! The only way I got good grades in math was to go home and do all the examples in the book for two hours. I NEVER understood what the teachers were trying to say. I think this is a great goal!
Good Luck! I HATED,HATED,HATED math in High school and college. Barely passing in college. EEKS! Anyways, thanks for finally spilling the beans about what you are majoring in, I think that you will do great!
Hmmm... I was going to guess Math. (Actually, just to be funny... because you were complaining about it in a previous post!)
I think it's a wonderful goal and you have very worthy reasons. Your students will thank you. (If they actually know how to show gratitude at that age - ha, ha.)
Also, I worked out an answer to the story problem from a few posts back... I wanted to check it with you to see if I was right. See! You're already in the role of teacher to me!
Like Sarah, I guessed Math! However, I was serious! I'm even more jealous of you now. I loved Math in college almost as much as I loved French and Economics. I would have loved to minor in Math, but I really wanted to finish school and I had lots of French credits already, due to my mission. Sigh.
You'll do great! I know it. It'll be a lot of work, but you're in a good position to do it. You've been out of school for awhile, so you feel the drive to do well. And, you're a hard worker. I really think it's great that you're going back to school. I'm so excited for you!
Good luck...it will be a lot different than high school...much better I thought. It is so important to have teachers who understand that not everyone learns or grasps concepts the same way.
When I was taking Calculus and my Engineering courses at the same time, everything really clicked for me. My professors would explain a process so completely different than I had ever thought or heard of. Everything just made sense after that. It was a total sense of accomplishment. It was really good for me to learn it for myself.
You'll be great...never doubt yourself. You can do anything you want, it just takes patience and diligence to see it through.
Wow. Never have I read so many nice things about myself. Thanks!
Tearese - My goal is to have the students actually understand what I say. That would be nice for a change for most kids who take math.
Melissa - I HATED math in high school, but college was a completely different experience. That's what made me think about it. I didn't mean to keep everyone in suspense, I was just really worried about telling people. Like I said before, I'd been telling myself I wasn't very smart for so long not only did I have myself believing it, but I was trying to convince others as well.
Sarah - Yes, I was complaining, but only because it's not something I thought I would use all the time. At least the crazy math. But it's not about majoring in something I will use in my life all the time, but something I want to do. I guess it's hard to explain. The answer to your question is 3V-Z-Y.
Julie - I'm surprised you guessed math, but excited at the same time. It makes me feel like I really can do it if I work hard. And you saying you started over again with Math 1010 makes me feel a whole lot better. I bought my books today and I was practically dancing on the way to the car. It's so different for me (especially compared to most people my age who haven't gone to college) because I WANT TO GO.
Steph - When I first read your comment I was afraid you were going to say the reason it was different was because it was worse. It's good to know it's better. I'm really hoping I have similar experiences to yours, and that things just click for me, too. Thanks for all the nice things you said. I do doubt myself too often, it's something I need to work on. Hopefully the patience I learned from having kids can transfer into my school career! ;)
This is absolutely beautiful! Great joB! Thanks for inviting me~Lori
Hey Mellissa!! What a fun surprise. It is so good to hear from you. Remembering our good old primary days in Cedar :) Drew was just a new born... It has been awhile! Congrats on going back to school that is really great. You were always such a sweetheart, you will be awesome at whatever you do!! Really good to hear from you.
I think math is a great choice. I'm pretty sure that is something we all should know? Maybe even know well. I have known tom many poor math teachers myself. My geometry teacher (Mr Cache) would always call my a "Dumb Blond" "Flake" etc. But, even without trying I got an A- in Algebra? Go figure, I wonder why I did so poorly in Geometry! That, and I cheated a lot? Ooops. Love ya babe~Lori
PS, Have you checked out mathisfun.com? It's a BLAST!!!
Kiersten - Thanks! I'm really excited to go back to school. It's something I've always wanted to do. It's great to hear from you!
Lori - I am with you there, I had terrible teachers in math. They didn't get as bad as calling me a "dumb blonde" though. It's amazing what they let teachers get away with. I can't imagine calling a student that. It's just mean. And you are in no way a dumb blonde. You're just very energetic. I'm going to check out that website today!
Post a Comment