I know there will be more to come, but today has felt like the longest day ever! I was so busy. And my head was so full of thinking that it made the day seem longer.
I took my math placement test today, and although I wasn't dreading it, I'm glad it's over so my schedule is finalized. I placed in Math 1010, the math I took back in 2000. The test wasn't too bad, I just wish I could have seen what answers I missed - that's killing me!
It's not a bad thing by any means to retake this class. The only reason I don't want to, is because it feels like I'm wasting credit and financial aid money by so doing. At least it should be easier for me this time around. Also, it's nice that they finally count the 5-day-a-week math course for five credits instead of four. It's about time!
My schedule seems quite good. I have class from 10:00 to 2:00 - with an hour break where I go pick up Carter from school - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday I have a class at 10:00 and a class at 1:00.
I met with an advisor today who gave me some good advice about choosing a major. He said not to make the decision right now, but to give myself a deadline to make the decision. For example, he said, "Let's pretend you picked November 15th as your deadline. You give yourself until that day to figure out your major. Use that time to do research in the things/careers you're interested in. Ask your family and friends what they think." It was very helpful advice for me, and it helped alleviate some of the stress of choosing a major.
So, with that in mind, I'll tell you what I'm leaning toward. I know that if I want to work when I graduate, I need to do something with my children's schedule. I need to have my summers off with them, and the same holidays. That is non-negotiable for me. What comes to mind with that? Teaching. I'm not opposed to teaching, it's just something I've never thought of doing before. And like I said to Ben last night, I can't imagine being good enough in one subject to be able to teach it to others. That boggles my mind. He said most majors start out that way, but the more you learn, the more you can teach, I guess.
I have also thought of being a counselor in the public school system. I would actually love to work for LDS Family Services as a substance-abuse counselor, but that doesn't fit in with my children's schedules.
I also can't decide if Elementary Education or Secondary Education is the way to go. Ben leans toward me majoring in Elementary Education, but I think that it would also be..... (I can't think of a word, and fun is not the right one) interesting, challenging, satisfying to be a Secondary Education teacher. I just don't know.
My poor mother-in-law. She keeps pulling her hair out every time one of her kids turns out to be a teacher. Out of her six kids, four have pursued careers in teaching, even though one changed his mind. I wish she'd see the great example as a teacher she has set for her children, and realize all they learned from her. ;)
Carter also had his Kindergarten Orientation Meeting today. He's so funny and cute. We're sitting there while his teachers are talking to the group, and he turns to me and says, "Whoa. I better learn to read and write." Too funny. I can't believe he'll be in kindergarten. I think he's more nervous than he lets on. He mentioned today how he might not like it because he wouldn't get to see Riley as much. I think Riley is going to have 'Carter Dean' withdrawals!
And on a VERY happy note, Ben got a job in Cedar today! Hip, hip, hooray! Hip, hip, hooray! Hip, hip, hooray! His job will be similar to what he's doing now - working with troubled youth - only these boys are court-appointed, and there's more of a 'lockdown' feeling to the program. It's a major pay cut - I'm not even go to say how much - but he will be HOME, HOME, HOME!!!!! He will also have benefits. Hallelujah!
Sorry about the novel. Like I said, today was ridiculously busy!
8 comments:
Glad to hear about the job and glad school is going alright. If you are looking at something you can do on a kids schedule there are a different options as well although not as frequent. For part-time you can do things like be a teachers aide or office support. Also there is working in the libraries. I am putting in an application for an assistant librarian in fact. Just some other ideas if teaching doesn't quite fit.
Well, I think teaching is a great career. Elementary or secondary. And we always need more good teachers.
I think that you would make a great teacher, if that is what you want to do. I can't wait to get my foot it the door, so to speak, and start working in the elementary schools. Another 4 or so years to go.
That is really cool that Ben got a job here. I didn't even know that he had been looking. Sometimes the best of jobs are the ones, that might not pay as much but the benfits out weigh the pay cut. As much as James would like to quit and find another job sometimes, the only thing that keeps him there are the benfits. We can't beat them and find a job with the same.
I agree with Melissa, benefits totally make a difference! And, I'm sure the opportunity cost of Ben being at home all week will definitely outweigh the pay cut. Yeah!
I'm kind of jealous of you. I love school. Now that I have one degree behind me and don't feel the pressure to "just finish", I'm often tempted to go back. Ideally, I'd love to get a PhD in Economics and teach at a university. However, to accomplish this, I have to quit my current job, and I've not been too successful with that.
Anyhoo, good luck with deciding on the major, congrats on not being put in Math 0990, and have fun once classes start! :)
Wow! You guys are busy. Glad to hear about Ben's job. I am sure it will be nice to have him home again!
P.S. I like the new template!
Superguy - Thanks for the ideas. I'm pretty sure I'll work toward a Secondary Education license at this point, but my decision won't be final until later this semester.
Cardine - Thanks for the compliment, but I don't know how good of a teacher I will be. I guess we'll see.
Melissa - That's good that you are looking forward to working in the schools with your kids. As far as the job goes, it will be wonderful to have Ben home.
Julie M - I am really excited to go back to school! It will be a whole new world, but now with Ben being home all week, it won't seem quite so overwhelming! Maybe in the future you can go for your PhD.
Julie H. - Yes, we are very excited about the job. It's getting Ben's foot in the door at Iron County Schools, and that is important.
Thats awesome Ben will be home, it will probably be hard to get used to, but in the end it will be great for your family. Joseph used to work till 12:00AM every night before we moved, and at first it was hard having him home in the evenings here, but now its great.
Maybe you could be a substitute teacher or counselor at a school, like you mentioned.
Tearese - I think there will be a small adjustment period, but it will be so wonderful to have him back! I think I've decided what I'm going to do for school, it's just something I've never really done a lot of, and so it's a bit frightening. I think substituting would also be a good option.
Post a Comment