Thursday, September 4, 2008

Professor Profiles

I'm quite pleased with my professors and teachers thus far - with the exception of one.

My Nutrition teacher is great. She is an adjunct professor and is filling in for the professor who is out getting her clinical dietitian's license or something like that. She is patient, not easily disturbed by freshmen behavior, and she is very knowledgeable and seems to genuinely enjoy her profession. That makes such a huge difference.

My History professor is great! He is from San Antonio, TX and has been teaching at SUU for about three years. He sounds like my brother did when he came home from his mission in Texas. He also really loves history. You can see it in his body language and hear it in his voice as he lectures . He's trying to make his class as easy on us as possible. He only has three exams, all scan tron, no essays. The final is the same and it is not cumulative. How nice, huh?

My Math professor is also wonderful. He has his Masters in Math Ed, and he is really good at teaching math, and showing different ways of doing problems. He is very patient with all the questions asked, even if they seem like they should know it already. He doesn't require us to turn in homework every day, we just have problem sets every week or so. Kind of like the Echte McCoys in German with Herr Corry.

My UNIV 1000 class has two teachers. One is great. She facilitates the small session where we come prepared each week to talk with our classmates about an assigned topic. That class is fine and it's fun getting to know people. I like that more than I thought.

The other UNIV 100 teacher.....that, my friends, is a post for another day.

6 comments:

tearese said...

Now I want to know. What? What? I loved taking Nutrition at SUU; what a great way to get a science credit or two.

Mellissa said...

It's nice because over time I have picked up information about nutrition, so I feel I have a little background in that class. I will tell about the crazy teacher next time I get a chance.

loriallen said...

Off subject for a minute. Hunter wants me to tell you to ask Melanie if she would write him an email. Hunter will be writing her an email shortly. Maybe she could wait and respond to it. Professors, oooh the stories! They need to keep in mind they are their to help everyone be EDUCATED!! Not try and make it tougher because they think that will teach! Some of the things they do!!!!!

loriallen said...

I mean "there" not "their." Funny that I am speaking of educated things, but manage to get that wrong! Oops!

julie said...

I'm glad you're liking your profs, except the one. Having a good teacher makes a huge difference.

I'm still feeling a little envious that you (and other friends) are back in school right now, so will you do a post about all your homework so I can feel better? Please??? :)

Mellissa said...

Julie - If only I could. I will post about the annoyances that do make me crazy.