Thursday, August 21, 2008

!@$&%

Yeah, that's what I heard today on the campus of Southern Utah University. I was there to buy my last two books that finally came in, and there were a bunch of people there for Welcome Week - mostly Freshmen, I imagine. Anyway, I'm walking along and some guys behind me are talking, rather loudly, but their vocabulary seems awfully limited because all I heard was, "That %$^*@! I can't %@**&^% believe the #$*& !@#*$ with #$%& and !@#$!"

My dad is a user of colorful vocabulary. You should ask Ben about the time he went hunting with my dad and they got a flat tire - only to find out the spare tire was also flat. I'm sure Ben's ears went through trial by fire on that excursion.

For as long as I can remember, I've been surrounded by people who have relatively clean mouths. And I'm not talking about cavities, people. There is the occasional 'darn' and 'heck' from my dad, but that's about it. Growing up I always put on my 'deaf ears' and let things go in one ear and out the other. But that's a lot harder to do now that I'm not used to hearing that kind of language. I'm just going to have to suck it up and put my deaf ears back on for the next four years.

10 comments:

Cardine said...

The hard thing for me is that when I'm around people who swear, I tend to want to swear more, too.

Anonymous said...

Cardine, I've never heard you swear... at all!

Mellissa said...

Cardine & Sarah - I've never heard either of you swear, so there. I used to swear until I made some great friends in high school. I haven't felt the urge to do so in a long time. It was a hard habit to break though. Ben used to laugh at me when we were first married, because although I wouldn't say it, I'd spell it. He thought that was funny.

loriallen said...

I have the urge to swear all the time.it had been years....until the other night, when I gave in to temptation. But now I am back on track. I have been known to say things to people that feel they have to publicly use profane words in a attempt for attention. It's ridiculous!!! It's like smoking, it doesn't just affect the one, it affects all the people standing in proximity to the one.

Mellissa said...

Lori A. - I couldn't agree more. And people who use profane language in public don't draw my attention. Excessive profanity just tends to make me think they have nothing better to say.

tearese said...

stupid freshmen. I'll bet you they were just out of high school and trying to sound cool and grown up. Or not. It was weird to me living in WA to have coworkers using the strongest swearwords, because I was used to only uneducated juveniles talking that way.

Mellissa said...

Tearese - I second your thought of 'stupid freshmen'. Why is it so many people (especially boys/men) seem to think that's cool?

julie said...

I swear. I admit it. I'm not proud of it, but I'm also not really ashamed of it. I'm a horrible person. :)

Mellissa said...

Julie - There are days I have to tell myself not to think those words when I get frustrated or angry. It's not the little words that bother me, it's when every other word that comes out of someone's mouth is vulgar.

julie said...

I am proud that I've never dropped the "F" bomb. It is so utterly despicable, I can't believe it doesn't come out of people's mouth accompanied by sewer smells.