Thursday, July 31, 2008

Going back to school.....again!

For the past several weeks I've been thinking about going back to school again. I was ready to do so back in April or so, but the major I had picked (music) was really time consuming. It wasn't a major that had homework I could do at home.

One of the things that compelled Ben and me to move our family back to Cedar was the fact that I would be able to go back to college. But when I was accepted into the music program at SUU and enrolled in classes, the schedule was really inflexible. That was not something that would work for me. I needed to work around my kids' schedule, not my kids working around my schedule.

So, I've been getting these random emails saying to accept my financial aid and other things from SUU. I think I was afraid to go back. I was afraid I would be giving up all my free time (which I might) but I really think I have to try it out before I say it won't work.

However, this means I can't major in music. It's actually a relief. There was a lot of pressure for me in that major. And now, having not decided what I'm majoring in yet, there isn't the pressure. I have time to decide what I want to major in. No rush, there is time to explore my interests. I've never taken Chemistry. I would like to try that out, (Lea, I hear you thinking how crazy I am). That is a class I couldn't do with music because so much of my time was already devoted to music.

As I'm typing this I'm feeling really good about it, and getting excited. It's something I've always wanted to finish - I just need to take the plunge and go for it. Wish me luck.....again! :)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to decide and go for it! I think that you will have fun deciding on a major and exploring different classes.

You are brave and daring to go back. I always thought that I would go back, after all my kids were in school fulltime and get my teaching degree and then teach elemntary. But I decided againgst it. I can work in the schools, not necessarly teaching, but work there nonetheless, with only my associates degree. I am looking forward to that day, with a little trepidation and excitemnet. Trepidation because I will have been out of work for so long and excitement because I will be able to do something that I have always wanted to do, work at the schools.

Lori Clark said...

I'm glad you are going, and have lots of fun deciding, it took me a long time, a lot of changing my major, but I finally found what I liked. I had to stop thinking about what I wanted to do with the degree, and find something that I really liked to study.

Julie Hunt said...

I think it is great that you are going back to school. I changed my major after I began school. I think it is wise to wait until you have taken a few classes. At that point you will have a better feel for what you would like to study for the remainder of your schooling, and what will work with your family schedule as well. When does school start?

Mellissa said...

Melissa, Lori, & Julie - Thanks for your support.....again! I really should stop writing that and making myself feel silly for changing my mind. My circumstances changed and allowed me to go back, so I need to stop telling myself I'm wishy-washy, because I'm really not.

Signing up this time felt so much different than last time. Like I said, no pressure and it will allow me to explore more.

tearese said...

I'm glad you're excited. I hope you enjoy it! I always thought Communications or Psychology would be cool majors....just a thought.

Mellissa said...

Tearese - Psychology was actually my major the first time I went. I would love to be a therapist/counselor at a public school. Communications, on the other hand, I don't think would be for me. Even though I talk a lot.