Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Decisions, decisions, decisions

You know how most people change their major a few times over the course of their college career? Well, I decided to change my major three times, all in the first month. Saves time, doesn't it?

I've always known that whatever I do, I need to be on the same schedule as my kids. I'm not planning on working once I graduate, (college is like my insurance policy), but if anything did ever happen to Ben I needed to support my kids and not be busy during the summers.

I first decided I wanted to major in Math Education. I thought I really wanted to show and help others who thought they weren't good at math, that they can be good at math. What I think I really wanted was to prove to myself I could do it - and I can. But I really wasn't sure about dealing with teenagers in secondary school. When I graduate I'll have teenagers of my own to deal with - I really didn't want to worry about anyone else's teenagers. I hope that's not too selfish.

Then I thought, well, maybe I could do Elementary Education with a K-8 Area of Specialization in Mathematics. That sounded good, and the class load wouldn't be as strenuous as majoring in Math. There would still be a lot of work, but busy work which is something I don't mind. But as I got thinking about it I realized I really have never wanted to teach. It's not something I'm opposed to doing, but unlike Ben who thrives on teaching, it would be a job for me - not more.

While I was deliberating over what to do, finally realizing that I didn't want to teach, I realized that there was something I am good at. Something I've always enjoyed, too. English. I definitely shied away from it because I didn't want to do a BA (all those foreign language courses) and all those papers to write! But majoring in English kept coming back to me.

So one night Ben and I talked about it. He made a good point that I need to make my degree as easy as I can. All those education classes were not doing that. He's been so supportive of what I want, I'm so incredibly lucky. Anyway, I mapped out my schedule for the next four years. I am such a mapper of schedules. I got it all planned out, and realized what a light work load it would be. Even with a minor, I have to pick up elective credits to get to full time.

The funny thing is, the day after I organized my schedule some classmates of mine were talking and one of them asked the other if she was going to the English Majors' meeting that afternoon. Me. 2X4. Bam. I made arrangements to go to the meeting and it was great. The faculty was all there and so was the Academic Advisor. Funny thing, she had change of major forms with her, and if we filled them out there she would hand them in for us. Again, me, 2X4, Bam!

I guess it's better that I did all this changing before I got into classes. Like I said, saves time, right?

This next part will make a certain French-speaking friend happy. Since I'm required to take 16 credits of foreign language, and because French was the most recent foreign language I've taken, and because I think French will be a better foreign language for me if I'm majoring in English (there's not a lot of Spanish and German writing studied at SUU) I will be enrolling in French 1010 next semester.

You realize, Julie, you've just signed yourself for tutoring, right? You started this whole business and now you really can't move away until I'm done with French. And even then you have to stay around. By the way, what the heck does Mes Bijoux mean? I've been meaning to ask that since I first started reading your blog.

You're probably asking yourself how majoring in English might ever support my family. Well, even though that is an important point in my mind, it's not the most important point. I need to love what I'm doing and feel comfortable in it. English enables me to do that. Who knows? Someday I might write a book about my experiences as a thirty-something college student with three kids, two cats, and a husband.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

You Go Girl! There is nothing wrong in changing your major, at least it is now and not three years down the road. I think that English is much better suited for you and that you would be great at it!

Agian I am really impressed with your decision to go back to school. Good luck with everything!

Laurel said...

English major makes sense to me. Just look at your posts (which I love reading). They're great little stories.
I'd love to go back and learn more German. You know...someday.
For now I'll just live vicariously through you. Hope you don't mind.

tearese said...

Hey, Ally B. majored in English, and now she's a writer (after teaching). Sounds good to me! I know, everyone always thinks teaching must be the answer if your major isn't something obvious, like business, or whatever. But I never wanted to do that either. Blah.
Foreign language isnt so bad, you'd be suprised how quickly it comes back. I took spanish my soph year, and I was way ahead of the 101 class because I'd taken it as a Soph in highschool. I actually managed to skip 102, and I did just fine. You will too!

loriallen said...

Good for you! Ahh who knows this might not be the last change. I was...well...the expert at changing my mind. What I wanted and what I REALLY wanted (to stay home with my bumpkins) were conflicing. I was pre-vet, nursing, biology, etc., etc.... Elementary Education was the winner! Keep going. It suits you. You are always accurate in grammar and vocab and english! I am not good at it, and dislike it very much!!! So thanks for being one of the ones who keeps the accuracy of the english language going!!!

julie said...

Yipee!!!! As soon as you mentioned that you were changing to English and needed a foreign language, I crossed my fingers and hoped you'd be choosing French! Yeah! Of course I'll be here to help you, give you opportunities to speak French, and offer whatever support you may need! And, I have an awesome French dictionary that you can use when the time comes that you'll be needing it (probably not until you get into the upper division courses). Mes Bijoux means "my jewels". My blog first started out as "Une tasse de bijoux" - a cup of jewels - but I've shortened it for various reasons. It's a play on a nickname AND what I hope my posts represent.

Anyhoo, I bet English will be a great major - as would be anything that makes you happy. You'll get to read a lot of great literature, learn to write fabulously, and meet a lot of nice, whacky people (most of my friends in French classes were English majors and they were a lot of fun).

Let me know when you want to start practicing! I certainly could use the practice, too!

Mellissa said...

Melissa - Thanks! I also think English is better suited for me over everything else. So far the demands on my time for school haven't been too much so I'm not feeling out of balance. But hey, I've only been at this for four weeks!

Laurel - I'm really glad you enjoy my posts. I feel sometimes I babble, so at least I know I make sense to a few people! And yes, you are more than welcome to live vicariously through me.

Tearese - I always figured that was Ally B. who wrote those books, but was never sure. Good for her. It's funny how obvious things kind of hit me upside the head. I'm hoping to audit my French 1010 class. I sailed through it last time but that was eight years ago! Even if I struggle through the 1020 class, I'd rather do that than sit through 1010 again and be thinking, "I already know this!"

Lori A. - Yeah, doesn't my compulsive get everything right/done/tidy/finished fit with being grammatically correct? And I can't change now or I'll never finish!

Julie - You better believe I'll put you to good use!:) Maybe you could help me freshen up so I wouldn't have to take 1010 again, or audit that class. And there were a lot of wacky people at that meeting, but my life tends to be a little culturally bland that a little wackiness will be good for me.

Anonymous said...

I think you'd be an excellent author. You have a wonderful "voice" in your posts. I would definitely get your books and read them.

I might not actually buy them, though. I hope that won't offend you. I'm just not into buy books these days. :)

Lori Clark said...

I changed my major a ton of times until I finally found the classes I liked that things I liked to study and didn't pay attention to what I would do after I graduated.

Mellissa said...

Sarah - Thanks for the encouragement. And don't worry, I would never be offended if you didn't buy my book. But we're a bit ahead of ourselves because I haven't even written one yet!

Lori C. - If I wasn't so OLD I wouldn't care about changing my major a few times during my schooling. But I don't have that luxury now, which is fine because English is sounding and feeling better each day.