Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Young and Annoying

Do you remember that I posted about there being 1400 new freshmen attending SUU this fall? Well, there are. The crazy young things are everywhere.

A friend of mine wanted me to do a post telling about all the homework I have so she wouldn't feel so envious of me going to school. Sorry, Julie, no can do this semester - at least this far. My classes are the best thing. There are some behaviors from others that might eventually drive me to be institutionalized. Here they are, in no particular order:

1) I try to be polite and hold the door open for either a) the person behind me or b) the people exiting the place I am entering. It never fails - I get stuck holding the door for a ton of people, plenty of whom are guys who should know that when a girl is standing there holding the door the polite thing to do would be to take the door from her so that she can move on. I don't know, maybe I look really masculine to everybody.

2) The person in class who always needs to answer, even when the professor isn't really asking a question. There is a guy in my math class who has this tendency. My professor will be plugging along and as he is explaining the work, the guy (who, go figure, usually sits behind me) has to say the same things my professor is saying. Um, hello? I'm not paying you to teach me, so please hush up.

3) Texting. It is the bane of my existence among the crazy young people. It's like defensive driving for pedestrians. Everyone is busy texting, no one is watching where they are headed, and those of us who can handle walking 10 minutes between classes without using a cell phone are left to swerve around those who can't.

4) Some kids should have to take high school again just so they can take the time to mature. I say kids because I mean it - because they act like it. We have this Seminar Session of our University 1000 class. It's about social justice and it's a very thought-provoking class. I'm enjoying it, but since it's a class for freshmen, there are several kids in there who could take a year (or several) to mature a bit. There is one guy in there who gets really excited talking and asking questions about social justice. It really lights his fire, and I enjoy listening to the questions he poses. There are still kids in there snickering at him. Are you serious? Could you please take time out of your life to GROW UP?!

I'll take all the annoying things with the good things - it's worth it. But I seriously wonder where society is headed if I'm going to school with the future leaders of America and they can't even hold a door open for someone, say thank you, or stop laughing at other people.

4 comments:

Cardine said...

Don't worry. They just need a few months and then they'll be older. Seriously. I've been through this about 10 times. It gets better. And then they all wonder the following year if they were that bad when they were freshmen. (Yes)

julie said...

Teehee. I was fortunate. By the time I was at university here, I was mostly in upper division classes, so I didn't have to deal with too many freshmen - thank heavens! And, texting wasn't as big back then as it is now. It was still big, just not as big. Hmmm. This post didn't make me less envious. Good try, though! :)

Mellissa said...

Cardine - I certainly hope you're right. Not all of them are bad, it's just the few that ruin it for the entire class.

Julie - I'm blowing a raspberry to your Teehee. Does it make you feel less envious to hear I have a Math test on Monday and a Nutrition and History test on Friday?

tearese said...

I would go nuts around a bunch of 18 year olds. Its so weird how the cell phone has changed society so much in the last ten years. I feel so old because I don't have/want one, and I thing texting is the most juvenile thing.