Reading scriptures as a family at our house usually happens like it did tonight.
"...the great happiness that comes from keeping the Lord's commandments and the great sorrow that results from pride and selfishness."
Carter raising his hand.
"Yes, Carter?" I say.
"Um...what was that one word?"
"Which one, selfishness?"
"No. I can't remember. Could you read a little bit again so I can remember what word it was?"
"...great sorrow that results from pride and selfishness."
Carter raising his hand again.
"Yes, Carter?"
"What does pride mean?"
"It means that you think you and the things you have are better than others'."
"Oh," says Carter.
"And it came to pass (Riley, please stop driving on the page with your car. I can't see the words) that the thirty and fourth year passed away, (Riley, no more sound effects) and also the thirty and fifth, and behold (Riley, if you can't stop driving on the page I'll have to set you off my lap) the disciples of Jesus had formed a church of Christ (Riley, please stop or you'll have to get down) in all the lands round about. And as many (Riley, please don't be so noisy)as did come unto them, and did truly repent of their sins, (much screaming from Riley because I fulfilled the aforementioned threat of getting him off my lap) were baptized in the name of Jesus, and they did also receive the Holy Ghost.
Riley - "Holy Ghost help me."
Mom - "That's great. And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, "
Riley - "Holy Ghost help me build choo choo."
Mom - "The Holy Ghost helped you build a choo choo?"
Riley - "Yea."
Mom - "OK. the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, (Riley, please stop making the car fly in front of the page, I can't see when you do that.) bothNephites and Lamanites , and there were no contentions and disputations among them, (Riley, do you want to get off my lap again?) and every man did deal justly one with another.
It honestly seems like the thirty and fourth and fifth and sixth years passed away while we were reading tonight. Is it any wonder why we only made it through five verses?!
4 comments:
Oh how funny! That is basically the way it happens at our house, when we have scripture study. Only the two little lose interest and leave before we are done. It is hard to do when I don't have a husband at home at night to help out. What do you think? Well I am way proud that you "endure to the end" and at least get some reading done! Way to GO!
wow you guys read scriptures together? I'm impressed, no matter how many verses it was!
I'm impressed too, I haven't tried family scripture study, I'm lucky to get FHE done each week.
I'm impressed too! Don't worry about "only" reading 5 verses, you're developing a habit that will really help your kids develop their own testimonies of studying the scriptures. Good for you!
Post a Comment