The kids were troopers. They were tired on and off on the way in and Ben and I took turns giving them occasional piggy-back rides. The next day my back told me Melanie is a little too big to get piggy-back rides anymore!
Melanie loves to draw things from nature - flowers, trees, animals, rocks. So this trip we brought along the camera and she had a blast and went overboard with pictures. There were a lot of beautiful flowers along the way. There was one section that had a bush similar to a rosebush, but the flowers were little pink five-petal flowers. They smelled absolutely amazing. I wish I could have transplanted some to a bucket, but alas, my black thumb would have just killed it. Here are some of my favorites.
This little guy was one of our favorite finds. He was in a hurry to cross the trail, I'll tell you that much. He didn't want to stop for a photo shoot, but the paparazzi got him anyway.
We actually saw a lot of interesting wildlife out there. We saw a couple of lizards, but they really weren't about to sit still for some camera time. We saw some huge spiders, one of which had these orange and brown stripes. He blended in really well with the red sand. The cicadas were out in droves and we could hear them clicking and buzzing. Did you know cicadas live underground for most of their lives? We found all these little holes on the trail, and a cicada was sticking it's head out. They had also been molting and their skins were everywhere near those holes. Interesting bug.
You see, I'm not allergic to mosquito bites. They suck my blood just as much as anyone else, but I don't swell up and itch - at all. My dad is the same way. I told Ben even though I inherited his stubbornness, it's a small price to pay for not being allergic to mosquitoes. Anyway, we always wondered whether our kids would be lucky enough to pick that trait up from me. No more wondering. They have. Ben got eaten alive out there. He was still itchy Saturday evening. But not I nor any of our kids had any kind of reaction to the mosquitoes. I can see several places on my arms and legs where I was bitten by the nasty little things, but I never itched or swelled up.
I don't think they like the way I smell because they weren't swarming me like they were Ben and Carter. And it's funny because Carter has the same skin texture as Ben, but Melanie and Riley unfortunately inherited my excema skin. It's rough and bumpy and burns easily. But even though they liked the way Carter tasted, he didn't have a reaction to their bites.
The hike was great, and the funniest part was Melanie at the end. Once we got to the canyon, where there was more water and significantly more mosquitoes, Melanie was so ready to go home. When we turned around she led the way without any complaints. She just started walking and didn't check to see if we were following. Ben said she reminded him of a horse that has smelled home. She smelled the van, and there was nothing we could do to stop her from getting there as soon as possible!
10 comments:
That color is, um...its not purple enough to be magenta..not orange enough to be salmond, I don't think,...I know! Pinkish-redish! There ya go.
I can't believe you gave Melanie a piggy back! You must be much stronger than I, as I decided long ago that Elora is already too big for that!
I have a slight reaction to mosquitos (yeah, it itches) but I seem to get bit less and have smaller bumps than other people in general. Looks like a fun hike!
Wait...fuchsia maybe?
Sounds like a fun hike. I am so glad that you are posting photos of your adventures! I think that you did great with the flower photos. I have a new camera and am still learning how to work it well.
I love that trail and have some good memories from hiking there. I've also hiked the one with ropes & a log, but I actually didn't go up the rope/log contraption. I think I would like to try, though... it didn't look too hard. Just really wet.
Thanks for sharing your adventure!
Tearese - Fuchsia is what I thought also at first, but in real life the color isn't quite it. It's beautiful though. Glad to know I was close enough with pinkish-reddish! Like I said, my back was not pleased with me piggy-backing Melanie - she weighs half as much as I do! Luckily, she only needed the occasional piggy-back, and Ben carried her more. The sad thing is that her longs are so ridiculously long that her feet were close to the ground!
Melissa - It was a fun hike. I need to post pictures more often, I'm just terrible at remembering my camera. I would someday like to get one that has more than a 3X optical zoom. Sigh.
Sarah - A lot of people said they've been on that trail. It's a good hike. Yeah, I'm not sure about the wet part. I'm not a fan of wet feet, unless I'm barefoot, which wouldn't be likely on a hiking trail! :)
Hey girl, you won't get rid of me that easy! I will climb in through a window if I have to! Love your adventure!
What a fun outing with your family! I never knew you aren't allergic to mosquitoes, and your kids are lucky to have been given that inheritance from you. I'm really glad we live in a place that doesn't have a lot of mosquitoes - I was eaten alive in New York because I kept forgetting to put on the bug spray before going outside.
Now that it's summer and you're out of school, we should totally get together!
Lori - I'm not planning on getting rid of you any time soon! Climb on in my window whenever you wish! :)
Julie - I'm really lucky with the mosquitoes thing, and I'm so grateful my kids got it.
I was thinking the same thing about getting together. I'll email you and we'll set up another girls' night!
Beautiful Pictures I felt like I came along:) Melanie should be a photographer!
Give Ben my sympathies with the whole mosquito thing - I can often just refer to them as miniature vampires who realize they can't kill me so they sign a pact to make me as miserable as possible. I have had several experiences where they swell up bigger than quarters!
Great pics and looks like a fun hike. I have been itching for a good hike lately....
Post a Comment