THE BAD:
My everything hurts. My hand is killing me. I wasn't in the best shape for tennis in the first place, but four matches in one day just about did me in. Last night when I was done my left knee around the outside edge was just painful. I couldn't figure out why my left knee hurt and not my right. It's not like I lunge more on that side or anything. I eventually solved the mystery. It's the way I pick up the tennis ball. I use the inside of my left foot and my racket to lift the ball. I guess my knee just didn't like doing that movement a million times yesterday.
I didn't place. Having not played serious tennis in a while, I knew coming in the odds weren't stacked in my favor.
I made copious amounts of unforced errors. It's one thing when my opponent hits a nice shot, but when I just keep acting like it's baseball and not tennis it makes me crazy.
I felt like I haven't seen my family in the last week. What with my back hurting this week and people being so generous when I asked for their help with my kids, and then the USG, I feel like I haven't had any time with them.
I'm tired. Exhausted. Worn out. Practically dead.
THE GOOD:
I had fun! I played doubles with my niece Kya, which was great. We won two matches and lost two - even though one of our wins was by forfeit - I'll take what I can get. It was fun to get to know her a little better.
I learned a lot about my tennis game and what areas I really need to work on. I need to follow through and not hit the ball long. Had I not done that, I would have won several more games. My serve needs some power. It spins nicely, but it's quite weak.
Not only did I have fun, but I did that and played competitively at the same time. That has never happened for me. It's usually fun OR competitive, not both. I was happy whether I won or lost.
I realized how much my family loves me. I had a lot of support watching not only my matches, but my kids as well. Tennis didn't exactly hold Riley's attention very long. Imagine that.
I'll definitely be playing in the USG next year. Ben won't be working during June and he wants to play mixed doubles. That should be some definite fun! As long as I don't get smacked with the ball when he serves. It's happened before. Ouch.
5 comments:
I'm so glad you had fun! I wish I could've come to see you play. If Ben changes his mind and your niece doesn't feel like it - I'd love to play doubles with you next year. I prefer doubles to singles...less area to cover and I'm lazy. :)
I'd love to start playing tennis this summer. Maybe we could hash out an evening during the week that we could get people together to play. The kids could play too! Even better - they could fetch balls for us!!! :)
Sounds like fun! You are brave to play in the Summer Games, I don't know if I could.
Hope you can take the weekend to relax and get your body feeling better! Take it EASY!
Thats awesome that you got to do some competition, even when you don't win it can be a great experience. I sometimes miss going to the competitions in HS, like Art Guld and Sterling Scholar- where I at least had a chance.
Glad you had fun.
Julie - It was fun. I had fun playing with Kya, she kept it light and fun for me. I will definitely let you know if Ben changes his mind, but I doubt he will. ;)
And my kids, especially Riley, are excellent ball chasers!
Melissa - It wasn't about being brave because I played against people around my skill level. And I'm feeling much better, thanks!
Tearese - The competition was fun. I didn't realize how much I missed it. It's something to look forward to and get ready for next year.
Good job! What fun. That's cool that Ben wants to play with you!
Post a Comment