Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year Goals?

I write that with a question mark because I was wondering how to decide on what good goals would be. I wondered how others come up with goals for the New Year. Do you think about them for quite some time or are they spur-of-the-moment? Are they physical, mental, or spiritual? Are they individual goals or family or group goals? Just questions I was pondering.

Anyway, I have a few in mind, and although it frightens me to blog them because then so many of you will know if I fail, hopefully many of you will also know when I succeed. Did you like that positive thinking? With that in mind, here goes!

1. Read the Ensign cover-to-cover each month for the entire year. If I read one article each day I can easily have it finished before each month is over.

2. Read my Relief Society lesson and my Sunday School scriptures before I get to church.

3. Get my visiting teaching done each month. Is that humanly possible? My ward is very ambitious about visiting teaching, but they're not very organized. Bad combination.

These first three goals are some I really want to accomplish. Before school when I didn't read the lessons it wasn't like I was doing something else instead - I just was being lazy. But now with school if I don't get these things accomplished it's like I'm putting my school learning ahead of my spiritual learning and that won't do me any good.

4. Eat at least 2 fruits and 2 vegetables each day. I think this will be by far the hardest goal for me to accomplish.

5. Drink more water. I never do because I hardly ever feel thirsty, but I know sometimes I eat something when I'd be just as satisfied with a glass of water.

6. Exercise at least five days a week. I don't have class until 12:00 every day for goodness sakes - I can work in 45 minutes or so of exercise!

7. In conjunction with goals 4, 5, and 6 I would like to lose ten pounds by June 1. I'm not overweight, but I am at the very top of a healthy weight for someone my height and age. I would like to be in the lower portion of that range. I would also like to feel better about myself in a bathing suit. I would also like to play a full tennis match without keeling over dead.

8. I need to work on being careful about what I say, but not so much what I say but how I say it - especially to my kids. My mom used to tell me I needed to watch that when I was growing up. I never noticed I did it until I noticed my kids doing it and I realized they had learned it from me. Yikes!

Well, I think I've given myself some goals that I really need to accomplish. They certainly aren't lofty goals, but if they're satisfied I know they will improve me in ways that will make a difference in my own life and in the life of my family and those around me.

Do you have any New Year Resolutions?

11 comments:

julie said...

How do I pick my goals? I try to keep them simple, not abstract (less pride sounds nice but it's not quantifiable), and well-rounded.

I like your goals. You said at the end that they "aren't lofty" but I think small steps usually accomplish more than lofty ones. I was so jealous that you don't have school 'til noon, then I remembered that you have kids so probably don't really get to sleep in and you're probably working harder during the morning than me. :)

I wish you lots of success with your goals! Happy New Year!

Melissa said...

I haven't even set any goals for myself yet, hows that for resolutions! I love yours, they all seem doable.

I am thinking about starting a Biggest Loser Competition sometime within the next month or so. Would you be interested in participating? I haven't worked out all the details, but here are some. Everyone that participates puts in $10-$20, this is the winning pot, it lasts for three months, determine the winner by weight lost or a percentage lost. I am still pondering on the whole idea, but any input or ideas that you have would be great. Just let me know.

Mellissa said...

Julie - I agree that simple and attainable are good qualities when deciding on a goal or two. Yeah, sleeping in became a thing of the past once we had Melanie because she is an early bird. And even though she is now old enough to take care of herself in the morning, Riley has decided to fill her early bird shoes. Carter is my only kid who sleeps in.

Melissa - This is actually the first year I have ever made goals for myself. Crazy. I would definitely interested in competing in your competition. I think it would be a good idea. Definitely motivating for me, at least. Let me know if you get it all worked out.

Lori Clark said...

I like your goals, I have a list of my own. We have one goal in common, I'd like to loose 10 lbs to0.

Mellissa said...

Lori - That's great! Maybe we can bounce our successes (and hopefully very few failures) off of each other. Do you give yourself a date by which to lose the weight?

Laurel said...

Good goals. I could just copy and paste your list and then I don't have to think about mine. :)
Here's a link to check out:
http://simplemom.net/20-questions-for-a-new-year/
I haven't thought about my goals yet, but as long as I do it before January's over I'm okay, right?

Cardine said...

Your numbers 2 and 3 are my perpetual goals, too. I think they are all very achievable and good goals. Awesome.

Mellissa said...

Laurel - Copy and paste away! I've got to keep it simple or they'll all get flushed down the tube!

Cardine - Hopefully those goals will continue year after year and not end when 2009 does!

loriallen said...

Goals, Goals, Goals!!! Can't we all just try harder at being more complacent? That might be a goal for me!!! Actually I have started losing weight. That is a most important goal for me. I am doing well, and keep reminding myself of how good I will feel as well as look. I try not to be too complicated with my goals or too many of them. I am with you on the Ensign. Having my kids read the Friend and New Era is another one for me as well as the scriptures (they are pretty important to:) I am slacking on the scriptures, sad I know... Keeping a clean house and being frugal. That about narrows mine down. Now I have to keep myself in check. That is the hardest part!

Mellissa said...

Lori A. - I agree with keeping myself in check. It's so hard to stay motivated when things are going just right. There's nothing wrong with complacency, it just needs a proper home! :)

Lori Clark said...

Missy - yes I give myself a date - but I break it up - in January my goal is 3 lbs, it is easier that way.