There is nothing like being a part of a story your professor tells....
Today in my Intro to Poetry class, my professor was talking about connotation. She used the word "bird" as an example, and wanted us to talk about some things the word bird connotes. A guy in my class raised his hand and said the word "bird" can also stand for an ounce of cocaine, and when you "flip the bird" it means you get rid of an ounce of cocaine. My professor commented on that and acknowledged that flipping the bird was another connotation of bird. She then went on to say something like, "Yeah, when I moved here I was told that the band geeks from Cedar High have all these weird signs for giving the bird, none of them actually involving the middle finger." I thought I was going to die. I wonder if a certain someone knows they're infamous in the English Department at SUU? I don't know whether or not to admit to having used this "bird" numerous times or to having known the maker of the "bird" pretty well.
11 comments:
So who is the maker of the "bird"? That is pretty fun that you know all about it. Who would have thought that something would come up that you have to do with personally.
Lea - Keith Sorensen came up with the bird, at least I think he did. Ben thinks it was someone else. I just remember Keith using that bird often, and I mean OFTEN. Potty fingers.
Teehee! That is too funny! Who is your teacher and how does she know this about us band geeks?
I think it was Keith, at least I remember it being him. Maybe it was just because he used it so much. I'm pretty sure it was. Who does Ben think made it up?
Hahahahaha... that is so funny. It's been over 10 years... hahaha!
hehehe! I know that one, and I wasn't even in band. I guess its all about who you know.
Julie - Yes, it was funny. It was Dr. Tvordi and I have no idea how she knows. I'm afraid to ask because I will reveal that I'm part of the conspiracy! I don't think Ben has anyone in mind.
Cardine - Never thought the Mormon Turkey would be a legacy.
Tearese - It is all about who you know, and how to give them the bird, apparently.
Ugg giving the proper name I finally identified it, and although I wasn't really there I knew about it somehow, possibly just legacy within band people.
Wow - I hadn't thought of the "bird" in a very long time.
Abe - Yeah, I guess Dr. Tvordi heard about it from Kyle Bishop and Kristin Brinkerhoff. She also has a funny story about how we use the word freak.
Lori - Neither had I, but it was really funny to hear her mention it.
I have no idea what any of you are talking about. I jsut wanted to thank you Mellissa for staying in touch and visiting my blog. You are such a wonderful friend. I hope one day that you and I can run away from reality for a week to some tropical place and have a Pina Colada that was as good as Chilid makes 'em!!! Love ya, girl!!
Lori A. - I will explain the whole "Mormon Turkey" to you the next time I see you. It's not something I can explain well, unless I see you face-to-face. I love you, too!
Post a Comment