Wednesday, January 21, 2009

If you want a good laugh, read on.

Sunday was an eventful day, although not all events were revealed to me until last night. Some of you have already heard this story, so just be patient and humor me for a minute, and there will be an ending that brings tears to your eyes. What kind of tears, I won't say.

In sacrament meeting on Sunday our bishop was speaking, and he was relating his story to baking cookies. He said the phrase, "I love cookies." Well, of course Riley had to make sure our bishop knew he liked cookies, so he raised his hand high in the air and spoke (in a very loud voice), "I like cookies, too!" The ladies sitting in front of us (Becky Eastmond and her mom) were shaking they were laughing so hard. They like sitting by us, because apparently they find Riley very entertaining. I don't agree.

But there's more. How I wish there wasn't more, but there so is.

Ben came home from work last night and said, "Are you ready to be embarrassed?" He had this huge grin on his face, like he had the best news in the whole wide world. I told him to get on with it and just spit it out, thinking I had done something to warrant my being embarrassed. Then he said, "I was talking to Kayleen today..." Well, you see, Kayleen is Riley's Sunbeam teacher. At that point I put my head in my hands and just waited for the bomb to drop.

On Sunday Riley's Sunbeam class was sitting in a circle. This was the first time Riley had been to Sunbeams yet because he had been sick the previous two weeks. For those of you who don't know Riley very well, please keep in mind that he has a very playful personality and he loves to tease. Anyway, he walks over to his teacher and smacks her on the bum. She turns around and very nicely tells him that we don't do that. And of course Riley has a reply for her: "I do it to my mom at home."

It was at that point in the story that my laughing was mixed with my tears of embarrassment. Ben thought it was great fun - he wasn't embarrassed at all. I was mortified. What am I supposed to say to that primary teacher? She was really sweet and told Ben she didn't know what to say because she and her husband thought it was so funny. Funny my foot.

So, for any of you struggling to keep your little ones quiet at church, just be thankful they're not spanking their primary teachers and telling them it's OK because they do it to their mom at home.


11 comments:

Lea said...

Oh that is funny! Thanks for sharing! At least he keeps all of us entertained!! He He!

Melissa said...

Oh, I LOVE IT! Kids will do the darnedest things, won't they? Just keep in mind that he won't be little for long and just to laugh off the embarrassing moments, although it may be hard! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

loriallen said...

AW! You deserve it! I hear you teasin' your kids all the time! You had it comin'!!! At least he didn't call her "Hot Mama" after he spanked her, or said that he sees Ben doing that to you in your bedroom:) Kudos to Riley!!!!! Thank him for me:)

Mom Hunt said...

Yes, that was a good one. I think you better be prepared for more of those moments.

julie said...

Oh that's funny! Did your bishop hear him? How did he react? I'm going to ask him why he was talking about cookies at church. Teehee. Boy that Riley is a character. I wonder where he could have come by that??? :)

tearese said...

Oh that is funny. At least he likes Sunbeams..this whole month, Elora has been throwing tantrums at church because she hates it so much! and the weird part is she likes the class, its just singing time she hates.
I have to say again, he looks so much like you!

Laurel said...

Seriously funny. That even beats the time our ward had a Tickle Me Elmo laugh during sacrament.

jane said...

Just be glad the teachers think that it is funny and not mortifying because he'll probably continue doing things like that. Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy a good Riley story.

Julie Hunt said...

That is too funny! I am glad you now have it documented for future laughs!

Mellissa said...

Lea - One day, I would like to be less entertaining. Calm would be good for a change.

Melissa - I can't believe he's already in Sunbeams - and potty trained FINALLY.

Lori A. - You just make me laugh, especially when you say something I would have said. I seriously would have died had he said "hot mama."

Mom - I don't know how to prepare myself for all those Riley moments, but I'm getting really good at hanging my head and shaking it back and forth is dismay.

Julie M. - He was talking about cookies because that's the kind of guy he is. Yes, he heard Riley, and kind of smiled and went right on speaking - thank heavens. I didn't need any more attention drawn to us, thank you very much.

Tearese - Yeah, he likes his teacher - a bit too much. I'm sorry Elora doesn't like singing time. Sometimes the primary chorister forgets how to gear the songs for Sunbeams. Elora will catch on that it's fun. Poor kid to look like me.

Laurel - You so have to tell me the Tickle Me Elmo story.

Jane - I think you and Jeanne were on the right track with expecting more "Riley" moments. I really don't want to, though. I'm glad we could give you a chuckle.

Julie - This is SUCH good bribery material for when he's older. I'll have to make sure and make a hard copy of this information!

Cardine said...

Haha! That's what all the boys say...