That does not even begin to describe my feelings toward snow!
When I was a kid the snow was awesome! I built snow forts and had snowball fights. I made beautiful snow angels and tracks in the snow. Sledding was great fun, and so was writing my name in the snow on the big, grassy playground of East Elementary. Then there was coming inside from the cold and peeling off all the winter wear and toasting myself by my parents' wood-burning stove. And don't forget hot chocolate. Never forget hot chocolate.
Well, things have changed. Now there are crazy "other" drivers to worry about. Wet and muddy tracks on my floors, which leads to more mopping than I would like. There is also making sure the kids are warmly bundled on their way to the bus stop, (You know that part on A Christmas Story where the little boy, Randy, is all bundled up and he says, "I can't put my arms down!"? I TOTALLY get what that mom was thinking! Scary, I know.) Now there is no wood-burning stove with which to toast my buns. Thank goodness there is still hot chocolate or I would be seriously trying to convince Ben to move to Florida or Texas or any place where the only time the people who live there have seen snow has been on TV!
I really shouldn't drive when it's like this either because there are too many accidents just waiting to happen, and I don't have the luxury of 4-wheel drive. That would be fine except that I have Melanie's D.A.R.E. graduation today at 2:30. Thank heaven for a wonderful sister-in-law who volunteered to drive me there with her giant 4-wheel drive Suburban. Thanks, Tonia!
Sometimes I wish I could make life simpler - like just enjoying the snow and building a snowman. Dang it, I'm just too high strung!
6 comments:
AMEN! I'd love to play in the snow again, too, but too busy and it makes me so cold! I'm glad your SIL offered to drive today - how nice! That bit about knowing what the mom from A Christmas Story was thinking cracked me up. I love that movie. Please don't move to Florida or Texas. I'd miss you.
What's missing? Cinnamon rolls (and coffee, too, but don't tell the bishop!)
Julie - I'm glad I'm not the only one who is anti-snow. It's really sad who I start to relate to the older I get.
Gregg - How could I forget the cinnamon rolls? That there is blaspheme! Can't you just smell cinnamon rolls, coffee, and Grommy's house? Makes me feel eight all over again.
Hot chocolate is a must for Jael, every time she comes in from playing outside she says, "you know, I think some hot chocolate might warm me up". But I give it to her barely warm, or she says it is too hot, just kind of hot water from the tap.
there is no snow here in TX....its been in the sixties at least today! It was colder when we got here though. Too bad my kids have been sick today and we've not gone outside.
Merry Christmas!
Lori - I make my kids hot chocolate with milk. I just warm it up in the microwave and it works pretty well.
Tearese - 60s? You lucky devil. I'm tired of the wind then snow then really cold routine we've been in. Bring some warmth from Texas back with you, would you? Merry Christmas to you, too.
Post a Comment