Thursday, April 29, 2010

I Despise Being Sick

Two nights ago, I started to get a sore throat. I went to bed and woke up the next morning feeling horrible. Not only did my throat hurt when I swallowed, but my ears hurt as well. I didn't sleep last night because of the pain each time I swallowed, and this morning I felt much the same as yesterday.

I know, wah wah. But Ben and I were talking this morning and I figured out why I hate being sick so much. Besides the fact that I just feel lousy, the entire house is out of whack until I feel better. When Ben gets sick, it doesn't mess with anyone's schedule here. At work, sure, but that doesn't affect our family. When Melanie, Carter, or Riley gets sick, it doesn't affect Ben as much because I'm the one who is home with them anyway. He's great to pitch in and help with extra stuff, but it still doesn't make any problems. But when I get sick, it disrupts the entire household.

Like this morning. I really did not want to go out in the cold and wet (dang you, snow!) to take the kids to school. So I spent a good 20 minutes seeing if Melanie could get a ride (thank you, Shanna) and Carter could get a ride (thank you, Tonia). Then Ben has extra work with helping the kids get ready while he's trying to get out the door (thank you, Ben). It was mass chaos, mayhem, and confusion this morning. No wonder I was grumpy.

And to top it off, the woodwind ensemble is performing tomorrow night for the graduate reception. We have a practice session today, but there is no way I can go blow in my flute for an hour today and two hours tomorrow. I made an appointment with the doctor, but he's not in today, so I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. It wouldn't be a big deal, but I worry it will damage my grade. And I worry that the professor will think I'm just trying to get out of playing.

I worry too much. I need to stop.

Thank goodness for good family and friends who take care of me when I'm sick. I'd really like to stay well for longer than a month at a time. It's just hard with four of us at four different school locales. And next semester Riley will be in preschool, so that means each one of us will be at a different school. Endless opportunities for germs to party at our house. Bring on the hand sanitizer, hot water, and soap!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so sorry Mellissa! Wish I could be there to help you; there's probably not much I can do from here.
I hope you feel better! Please feel better! Any time at your convenience. :) Love you!

loriallen said...

I hear ya there. I just threw out my back the other day! Least to say, my house is terrible, Shylee ever so kindly got the kids out the door for me yesterday, and I get mad about my "hobbley" situation. I sit and stir about everything I should be doing. Though, if you asked my hubby he wouldn't believe that part:)