This semester was definitely the most difficult by far. Not only was I challenged academically, but mentally and emotionally as well. Things just kept coming at me, but I survived! I did very well, in fact, and am glad to be done with this semester.
So now you get the regularly scheduled review of my semester. In order from least favorite to favorite:
Educational Psychology
Seriously, this class pushed my limits on trying not to rip my hair out because I was so bored. I'm sure the teacher is a nice man, but he started off the year by making a sexist remark, which I can't exactly recall at the moment. Every day he taught, it was the same thing. He'd give a power point presentation, read it virtually verbatim, and then pass out hard copies of his power point to us. It. Was. So. Boring. My friend usually drew pictures while I worked on my poetry. Did I mention it was boring? However, my perseverance through the boredom paid off.
Final grade: A
Introduction to Critical Literature & Theory
A mouthful, isn't it. You should see the book for this class--it's the one I posted on facebook about the page numbers that begin to look like dates. It's something I don't think I'll ever pick up again. Scratch that, I know I won't ever pick it up again. And lugging that thing around in my backpack was no picnic either. But enough about that blasted book. The class really had some interesting points. I learned a lot about theory, but there is so much to learn. Some people spend their entire lives studying philosophers like Kant, Longinus, and Hegel. I didn't say those people were normal, I just said they were people. The professor ran the class well; she was always open for class discussion rather than lecture, and she never made me feel like I had a stupid question or comment. For me, that earns her big bonus points. All in all, not bad.
Final grade: A
Advanced Poetry
Because this semester was so full of stuff, I felt like I didn't have time to write any good poetry. I also felt like I peaked last semester with my poetry skills. Those two things combined made for an overall disappointment for the class. I've worked with this professor the two semesters prior to this one, and I really enjoy her teaching. I just could not get things on paper like I wanted them. I had less trouble writing essays for my literature classes. Not good for a creative writer! This is also the class where there were issues with a project for the class. Long story short, because of an inept designer, the book made and illustrated with my poetry in it is not something I want to buy. How sad is that?
Final grade: A
Woodwind Ensemble
A lovely friend of mine, who happens to be in Hawaii right now, the little twerp, told me to come and join woodwind ensemble. I did, and loved it. I love playing the flute, and this was a good way to ease myself back into playing. The professor for this class is firm in what she wants, but at the same time she can be absolutely hilarious. Frighteningly so. It was a wonderful experience.
Final Grade: A
Young Adult Literature
This class was the best of the semester, and it's also the class that helped me to grow the most as a person. I've known the professor for a while, we played in OSU for one season together and he's infamous among band geeks at Cedar High. He is a brilliant professor. His teaching style forced me to do my best, not because I had to, but because I wanted to. He told me what I was doing well, but also gave me pointers on what I could improve.
This is also the class that tested my resolve on some moral issues--mainly the content of some of the books in the class. It's where I learned that I don't want to be in a place, or a major for that matter, where I know my morals will be put to the test, and if I hold myself up to what I believe, my grades will suffer for it. I learned so much more that what the course description stated!
Final grade: A
I was really surprised at the 4.0 this semester. I reiterate, this semester pushed me in ways I wasn't prepared for. But thankfully I'm in good hands. My Heavenly Father, my sweet and supportive husband, and my amazing kids all look out for me. I am very blessed. And lucky. ;)
7 comments:
good job on the grades! I don't know if I'd be able to maintain the gpa I had in college if I was married with children....
Those all sound like interesting classes, I'd probably like them. As for peaking last semester...thats how I felt with my art classes. The last year and a half, I felt like I wasn't getting better, in some ways I was getting worse, and my teachers seemed to think that too...my worst grades my last two years were in art classes, and I did several projects over just to raise my grade back up!
Thats one of the reasons I didn't do any artwork for two or three years after I graduated.
I would hope your classes don't have the same effect on your writing though!
Great job and Congrats on the 4.0 pretty impressive!
Great Job! Glad you made it through.
WOW, impressive!!!! Good job at doing so well, with a hard semester! Now ENJOY the summer!
Missy! Awsome job on pulling the good grades!!! Those are tough classes too and I know it was hard to get it all done! But, its been so fun coming along for your adventure! I love your blogging about it!!! Hey, I'm sorry that you've been sick. And you're right...the house kinda just stops when the mom is sick. We've had the flu and are just finally over it all. fevers, sick stomach, the whole shabang! not fun being sick. Hope your feeling better now though.
Shnook. :P
Congrats! I remember some of those classes from my time at SUU and you should be proud of your 4.0!
Post a Comment