Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Lesson in Assertiveness

As part of the requirements for my poetry class, our class collaborated with graphic design and art students to put together books of poetry. I was so excited when I found out what we would be doing. A book of my very own poetry!

It started out fine. I met with my designer and illustrator at the beginning/middle of the semester to give them some poems. We talked about book size, how many poems/pages, etc. Just basic formality stuff. My illustrator said his artwork would reflect his interpretation of my poetry, and that was fine because I knew I didn't have a say in what was illustrated, just as he didn't have a say in what my poetry was. It seemed like things would be great.

Then my designer and illustrator dropped off the face of the earth. I didn't hear from either of them for weeks. I finally contacted my designer to ask if I could send him a revision of one poem, which I told him at the first meeting I would be doing as the semester progressed. The initial poems I gave him were just as much for the illustrator to get a sense of my writing as they were for the designer to know how many poems there would be. Other classmates talked about how they were meeting with their designers once a week to make sure things were going in the right direction. One classmate even had her illustrator draw a picture and she wrote a poem to go with it. "How neat," I thought. And so I waited.

And waited, and waited. And heard nothing. Until this Monday, when my designer contacted me to ask if I wanted hardcover or paperback for the book. I thought, "It's done? How can that be? I still have a revision to one of my poems. I haven't edited anything." I sent him a text and told him I had one more revision, and it would not change the feel of the poem at all, just some stanza changes and better wording. He told me he had already submitted the book and finalized it online. That means he did that without me editing and giving the okay to print. Big no-no.

And here's the kicker. One of my poems is missing the last line. The last line. You can't do that to a poem. Sure, you might be able to pull one out of the middle, but not the last line. It's the most important one!

Needless to say when I previewed the book online, I was furious. But once I calmed down, I was even more upset at myself. I know my designer should have contacted me. If I were a real client, he would have had major issues with sending something out to print without the author's okay. Legal trouble. But I should have contacted him to see what was going on. Only I didn't know the deadline for the project.

I'm just frustrated. This could have been a great experience, but it wasn't. I know I didn't have a say in the artwork, but one of the illustrations shows the backside of a nude woman. It isn't really in your face, it's kind of out-of-focus. I think he used pastels, but I'm no artist and I can't be sure. The point is, I never would have put my poetry in a book with a girl's naked bum in it. That's just not me.

And my professor said I should contact my designer to let him know that I am not okay with all of this. But I'm so mad I feel like I can't say or write anything or it will be too mean. Help!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sorry. I hope your designer realizes that he was in the wrong and apologizes profusely for it. If not, I will bring the shovel if we can use your car. :) Next book you want illustrated, call me. <3 Good luck!

I commented too!

Mills Family said...

Oh Missy! I'm dying just reading this! I can totally feel your pain. Seriously, I can totally feel your frustration and your not knowing what to do about all of it now. I can't believe that he totally took this on his shoulders and didn't ever get back with you to work it all out together. That is really really really wierd....and rude...and not considerate.....and I'm just so sorry!!! Wow, so what do you do about it now? I'm not sure. You defienately do need to talk to him. And, you do need to be totally honest with him. Just think about anyone else who might have to go through this same experience with him in the future! horrible! Let us know how it goes when you decided what you're going to do-----

Mom Hunt said...

I think you should tell him how you feel. He needs to know what he did was not what should of happened. People don't know unless you tell them.

Tasha said...

I think you express yourself with enough eloquence to be able to get the point across, but the anger and hurt you are experiencing needs to be known. Period. Think of your conversation with him like one when you are explaining to your children why they can't write on the walls in permanent marker. Undoubtedly, you will be firm and your point will be clear, but, unless you are a much better mother than me, you will not be able to camouflage the emotion you are experiencing. The emotion makes the point more clear and the depth of hurt completely understood. My two cents.

Anonymous said...

"Big no-no" is right. As a designer, I feel like your sad experience has been a good reminder for me... and I hope your designer will learn the lesson as well.

But, I just want to say one more thing to your designer... duh!!

tearese said...

This sounds like the kind of thing that happens to me all the time, where there's a misunderstanding and its probably the other person's fault, but I wonder if maybe its really my fault and so I don't say anything, fearing that maybe they're really mad at me.
That was rude of them not to even contact you. I think I'd talk to their professors (they're other students, right?) Okay, probably try to talk to them first, but if they don't answer THEN talk to their professors.
If they're supposed to be learning business practices for real life, they obviously failed their course and their teacher should know about it!
Of course, if you're like me, I'd probably go talk to them in a semi-apologetic tone, claiming that I might be at fault too.
But don't be like me!!! Do it the right way.

Mellissa said...

Tearese - You totally sound like me. I emailed him and he apologized, but I don't think he meant it or really cared. It's just a learning experience.