Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Riley's Rules

I had the privilege of waking up to a very funny story from Riley this morning. He is such a crack-up! I was at my mother-in-law's house yesterday and Lea was there while Riley was having a time out and shouted, "I hate when this happens!" She asked me how I keep a straight face when he says stuff like that. I don't. I just try to turn my head before I start smiling and giggling.

For Ben's birthday I bought him Wii Sports Resort. It is a great family game. Even though the kids are all at different skill levels they all enjoy playing, and usually playing together. This morning however, Carter wanted a turn by himself and I said yes. Riley was not happy with my decision, so with a pouting bottom lip he climbed into bed between Ben and me.

"I have rules," he stated.

"Rules?" I asked him. I wasn't sure if I heard him right. Sometimes his "r" sound sounds like a "w" sound and it's a little confusing. After a few seconds of misunderstanding he said, "Yes, rules! Rule number one is that I get distracted when Carter plays the Wii." (He tends to use the "I get distracted" defense when he isn't getting his way or when he is doing something he shouldn't be doing.) "Rule number two is I want to play right now!" Makes sense, right?

At this point I am just shaking with laughter. I had forgotten exactly how he stated rule number one, so I asked him to repeat it. He said, "I can't tell you rule number one because I'm on rule number three!" Well, that really got me going with the giggling. Then, with utter exasperation in his little voice, he says, "Rule number three is I can hear the game!"

Maybe we need to work on what a rule actually means? You think?

5 comments:

Lea said...

Oh man that was funny thanks for sharing you should make a book!

Mills Family said...

I loved this post!! Soooo cute! I love our little kids huh!
Hey, Missy!...I miss you! I'm SO happy that we have the blogs!

loriallen said...

He is too slick for his own britches!!! That is aboslutely hilarious! What a crack up! It's what keeps life entertaining:)

Mellissa said...

Lea - I'm so glad he makes me laugh. Thanks for playing with him today. I think he had fun telling you "Sorry!"

Lisa - He does make my day brighter when he starts it off with stuff like that. I'm glad we have the blogs, too! I miss you, along with everyone else around here.

Lori - Seriously, we could do an amazing comedy act with the material our kids give us!

The Butterfields said...

Hilarious - maybe I should make some new "rules" around my house. . .