Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A little bit of prayer, please.

Riley has been the troublemaker in my family from the get go. If something is supposed to go wrong then Riley is the one to make sure it does. For example, at six weeks old he had double inguinal hernia surgery. And he's the only one I had any trouble with when I was pregnant. And he has eye issues, a gap in his teeth, and now issues with sleeping/breathing/being irritable during the day because of the lack of sleeping and the breathing difficulties.

He is scheduled for surgery on Thursday morning to get his tonsils and adenoids taken out. He hasn't slept through the night in quite some time and he snores. Ben and I thought and talked for a long time about the surgery, but finally decided to go with it - the benefits outweigh the risks.

Even though it's pretty common surgery, it's still a little scary. When he had surgery when he was a baby, he had a little trouble coming out of the anesthesia. It was a little overwhelming talking to the pre-op nurse today. I think that has as much to do with the fact that my two finals were today as much as it was all the information she gave me.

The surgery is supposed to help with his breathing, which should help with his sleeping, which should help with his occasional ADD/ADHD-type behaviors. The doctor doing the surgery said that almost all of the time this surgery helps kids who have trouble sleeping to sleep better and feel better. I hope he's right.

Riley is a little scared about what's going on. On Sunday Carter told Riley he was going to get his tonsils out on Thursday. That morning he was snuggling with me and said, "I'm scared for Thursday because I don't want to get a poke in my throat." Poor guy. I just hope the nurses don't try to console him with stickers, because I don't think that will be very effective. If you want to know why, read this post.

So, my point of this post is to ask any of you who read this to pray for Riley and the surgery and anyone who will be working with him on Thursday. We want him to be safe during the surgery and come through just great. We also want the surgery to make a difference for him concerning his sleep habits. I hate to ask this of you, but what are friends for, right?

p.s. I'm so tired, I'm not proofreading this. Just know that it's finals week and my brain is fried, so you're all lucky if it makes any sense whatsoever!

9 comments:

Laurel said...

You can count on us. We'll send as many up as we can. Good luck with school.

Cardine said...

Aw... poor Riley. I'm in.

Julie Hunt said...

Of course!!!! Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

Tasha said...

Sending out prayers. Glad your finals are almost over. I'm guessing you did well because your post didn't contain any noticeable typos :)

Melissa said...

Good luck! We will keep in him in our prayers here!

loriallen said...

I'm here for ya girl...and so is Hunter (he is reading this too). My prayers are with Riley and the family. I hear ya about any surgeries trying to be made simple. ANy surgery is scary...there's ansthesia involved! I love that little man even without his tonsils and adnoids!

Lori Clark said...

I hope everything went well - I had my tonsils and adenoids out when I was in 2nd grade - lots of fun.

julie said...

I've been so behind on reading blogs this week due to a testing job, but I'm praying now! Good luck!

tearese said...

oh, poor little guy! I would be scared to have a kid in surgery, no matter how routine it is! I would probably freak out if Jonah's heart murmer got worse and they had to operate.
I'll be thinking of you!