I really hate that it's been so long since I've posted. Especially because I'm sure I've missed some great writing opportunities by being so darn stinking busy with school! I was commenting on a friend's blog and realized my fingers haven't buzzed over the keys in a while, and I've missed that!
Her post was about her kids writing a message to her (in what looked like candy Nibs) that said, "I love you." It was done by her almost four-year-old, and her kindergartner (I think). I commented on how nice it is to know that we're loved and appreciated, especially by those we love and appreciate, which reminded me of the great and funny things my kids have said this week. So here's a little recap.
Saturday morning is usually waffle morning at our house. My awesome and amazing mother-in-law gave us an old waffle iron that she wasn't using, or that her mom wasn't using, and it makes great waffles. So we usually make a double batch, freeze them, and pop them in the toaster during the week so the kids don't have to eat cereal all the time.
Well, I realized in the middle of the mixing that I was short on oil. It always happens when I've put almost all of the ingredients together that I realize I don't have enough of something. Does that happen to you? Anyway, Melanie and I quickly got dressed to go grab some oil, and of course, Riley wanted to come. He was still in his pajamas so I just threw a jacket and some shoes & socks on him and out the door we went.
We got to the store and Riley was holding my hand, and just being his normal chipper self when slowly I feel his body start to stiffen and he kind of starts to hunch down and slow his step. I look down at him and ask, "What's wrong?"
He turns to me, and with a very concerned face glances over at the cashier and whispers, "Do you think she'll say 'No pajamas allowed?'" I quickly told him he was fine and that people come to the store in their pajamas all the time. He recovered in no time and we headed down the aisle for some oil. There was a man pushing a big broom down the aisle, and Riley, being his normal friendly self, said, "Hi!"
"Hi there," the man replied.
"I'm having waffles for breakfast," stated Riley.
"Really?" the man said. "Can I come to your house and eat?"
"Sure," Riley replied. "Someday."
After much muffled laughter from Melanie and me, we bought the oil and went home. I went straight to the kitchen to finish up the waffles, when Riley came in and started jumping up and down and saying, "I'm ready for you to hold me now!"
I need to insert a little back story here. I'm always cold. Carter has inherited Ben's built in furnace capabilities and so I always tell him to come toast me up. Riley has picked up on the idea that I like being toasted. Anyway...
I turned to Riley and said, "I can't hold you right now. I've got to finish making the waffles. Sorry, bud."
Without a pause he sidled right up to me, smiled, and rubbed his little palm against my leg and said, "See? I'm toasty."
That morning was one of the funniest I've had in a long time. It's days like that that make me realize what a great and worthwhile sacrifice my kids are.
Riley wasn't the only one who was funny this week. Carter also made me giggle, and this requires a little back story as well. Around our house, we talk about who has what "superpower." Ben is the Finadiator (thank you, K.C.). That means he finishes every body's food, and he has his own built-in radiator, thus the toasting. I won't tell you what Mel's superpower is because she'd kill me if I did. Carter is called "Brainmelt" because if you turn on a video game or the TV or the computer, he is GONE! Riley's superpowers change daily depending on if he's Batman or Sonic or Link, you get the picture.
Anyway, I let Carter have chocolate syrup on his waffle this morning and I told him he could take a homemade Oreo for his morning recess snack. He then proceeded to tell me that my superpower is being nice. Man, I wish I could say that my kids say that about me all the time! I guess it's a good goal to aspire to, huh? :)
7 comments:
I always LOVE reading your posts! They truly do put a big smile on my face! What a great way to end my evening! Thanks!
I enjoy your posts also. They are very entertaining.
Crack me up!!! I love it! NO PAJAMAS ALLOWED? Only your kids! Your family is adorable I could picture everything that you told about:) They were Legos. Nibs would have been yummy, but they were red Legos. I love your superpowers for everyone in your family. I think we as a family will have to incorporate that!!! Love ya girl!
My super hero power is static. Static is also my super hero name. Note that creativity is NOT my super hero power. *smile*
I love your random tidbits, especially about your adorable kids!
We have GOT to plan a time to hang out together instead of just running into each other! Although, since we haven't made plans, I'm glad we keep running into each other!
Lisa - I'm glad my family is entertaining, and not in the way my dad was, what with pulling out his dentures for my friends. Shiver.
Jeanne - I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Lori - That's too bad they were red Legos. They don't have the same flavor as Nibs. ;)
Julie - Static, huh? You and my brother Gregg would get along famously. He deliberately goes out of his way for a shock. He used to drive Cody and me nuts when we were younger. And I agree that we need to get together!
Maybe you're just craving some Nibs. :) Trust me, Riley, everybody wears their pajamas to the store.
ITs nice to have those funny happy moments to remind us not to hate our kids on those OTHER days, isn't it? Not that I'd ever hate my kids. Really....
Post a Comment