Thursday, September 24, 2009

Poetic Irony and Me Rolling My Eyes

Last week there was a Creative Writing Conference at SUU...which I didn't attend. Mainly because last week was one of those weeks when I wondered why in the world I'm going to school, and also because I had a nasty cold. As part of the conference there were two writers invited to speak. One is a fiction writer and one writes poetry. Since I'm in a poetry class, my teacher scheduled to have this poet, we'll call him "Bob" come and speak with our class last Thursday.

I was looking forward to Bob's visit. We had been reading out of his recent book of new and collected poetry, and although some of it made me go, "Huh?" most of it was nicely done. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in his visit.

I'll admit he gave some good advice. He told us that spewing out words on the page, the good with the bad, is a good way to write because you can go back later and clean up the messy bits. He said that what you're interested in and involved with quite frequently will make it's way into your poetry, and it should. But then, he had some qualities that, for me, stereotyped him into this "poet" category.

One time he made a comment along the lines of disbelief that someone in an upper division poetry class could never have read a Shakespeare play. Whistle, whistle, whistle. That would be me. He also said he never reads contemporary poetry or fiction. He tries not to read anything after written after 1945, with very few exceptions. So, apparently he shouldn't read his own poetry? He works in workshops at Standford. So does that mean he doesn't read his students' poetry either?

Yesterday in class we discussed some of the things we learned from his visit (I kept my mouth shut), and my professor mentioned what the poet had done after our discussion last week. As the students filtered out, he turned to my professor and said, "Look at that!"

"Look at what?" my professor asked.

"That pencil sharpener! I haven't seen one of those in years. It's so beautiful." he said. She then went on to say that this is what he does. Even while he's discussing with other people he's constantly taking in his surroundings. And she told us that's why she had to guard his time so carefully, because he gets tired very quickly from doing that.

Seriously? He gets tired from noticing a manual pencil sharpener? Are you kidding me? I'll just die if I come across a poem of his entitled, "Ode to a pencil sharpener in Cedar City." Really, I'll just keel over and leave this world, probably from laughing too hard.

8 comments:

Cardine said...

Sometimes I think that people tell tall tales to get attention and what they want. Getting tired from taking in your surroundings too much could be one of them. I may not have been annoyed with this person as much as you, but from your story, I would have been rolling my eyes at the self-important tripe he was feeding you.

Steph said...

That's funny. I hope we all take in our surroundings to some extent. But if you get exhausted by noticing a pencil sharpener...hmmm I don't know about that. Seems a little dramatic to me. Taking care of 3 kids is exhausting...I would love to just take in my surroundings! That made my day, thanks for sharing.

Mills Family said...

Oh my gosh!!! Missy, you are cracking me up!!! I'm at work right now and on a lunch break and needed a "pick me up"! LOL!! Oh, how I wish I could have been there to experience it all with you! I don't think I could have kept completely quiet though...I think my snickers and giggles would have snuck out of me as laughter took over me! Oh, thank you for sharing this, it make me laugh!!!!! You're so awesome Missy!

Anonymous said...

Uh... I think that is called Attention Deficit Disorder.

julie said...

Good grief! What an...interesting guy. I like his idea about just putting down words then going back to clean them up, but the bit about noticing his surroundings making him fatigued is ridiculous! It would have been fun to be there with you to make funny faces to each other, though it's probably best that I wasn't there - we wouldn't have been able to control the giggles!

Mellissa said...

Cardine - Like I said, there was a stereotypical poet vibe oozing from him. Yeah, apparently this summer I should have been reading Shakespeare and Yeats instead of Mull and George. :)

Steph - Yeah, those pencil sharpeners can sure take it out of you! Thanks for the call!

Lisa - I'm glad I could provide a little comic relief in your day. It definitely felt good to write about how annoyed I was!

Sarah - No kidding. Who knew old people got that? ;)

Julie - Oh man, I can only imagine you and me sitting there giggling so hard we're shaking the desks!

loriallen said...

What the???? It must be exhausting to be him!!! To always be in a cunundrum about reading his poetry as well as his students. To work THAT hard at being THAT weird..."Ode to the Pencil Sharpener!!!" You are absolutely hilarious...DId it exhaust you? Because it does him! My guess it that he doesn't shower, wears an odd looking hat, smokes.....my list could go on....but it really can't because now I'm exhausted...

tearese said...

some people are a little to full of themselves, in my opinion. Not reading anything modern? Really? How snobbish is that?
And you didn't read Romeo and Juliet in 8th grade English? Or Julius Ceasar in 9th grade English? Or Midsummernights Dream in 10th grade? I thought every class read those.