Did the last post tip you off? What is an Elementary Education major doing posting poetry on her blog? Well, first of all, that girl is no longer an Elementary Education major, and second, she likes English and poetry, so of course she's going to post stuff like that on her blog!
That crazy girl went through mental torture the past few weeks. She just couldn't figure out what she wanted to do with her life, but that's because she was fighting against what she knew she should be doing (English) and what she went to school for in the first place - to enjoy what she was doing (English)! She kept getting overwhelmed thinking about being the breadwinner while her husband goes to graduate school when she's done with college. She thought that teaching was the way for her to secure some finances in her family's life.
But she does not want to teach! She doesn't want to fill her life with teaching, because she's afraid that the constant busyness of teaching will take her away from the most important thing in her life - her family. She doesn't want to become consumed with other people's children. She wants to focus on her own. There is no passion in her for teaching.
She loves creative writing. During Spring Semester that girl went with her class to the Braithwaite Art Gallery during their Zion Exhibit. There were beautiful pictures capturing the majesty and strength of Zion National Park, but there was also poetry about Zion - about heritage and nature, about wisdom and youth - written by some of the Intermediate Poetry students. Their poetry enveloped her and she dreamed of having her words on those walls one day.
She wants to keep that dream. She doesn't know if she'll ever get published, but that's not why she's going to school in the first place. She's going because she loves learning for herself. She loves the challenge school brings to her plate, and she loves meeting those challenges and raising the bar for herself.
6 comments:
I'll buy the first copy! Good for you! Express your creative self, it's therapeutic! It will only benefit you and your family! I think you are talented in it.
Boy, you sound a lot like me when I was in school. So many options...so hard to know for sure what you really want. I think it's great that you have the courage to choose a major that will fulfill you, not just get you a job. Not that a job is a bad thing, but hopefully you'll be lucky enough to work AND be fulfilled.
Am looking forward to more of your work!
I'm glad your following your dream, you'll do great i just know it. Love ya!
yay, its okay! I think school should always be about learning and growing in the things you love, not about doing something that will earn you money. Well, maybe that doesn't apply for a guy who HAS to take care of his family....but it might.
HEck, I wouldn't have been an art major (and I would have been a teacher like everyone told me too) if I was all about earning the money. You can always find something to do while Ben goes to school.
Lori - It's hard but enjoyable work trying to be creative. Thanks for your support.
Julie - Oh no, does that mean no one will be able to remember what my actual major is? :) I agree that a job is not a bad thing, but it shouldn't be why I get my degree.
Kira - You're a sweetheart. Hopefully I can keep it up and not get discouraged. How did your cookies turn out?
Tearese - Thanks for the support, and I'm so glad I'm not the one who HAS to support our family. I feel for Ben sometimes with the pressure he has to be good at what he does. I would love to be able to use my degree in creative writing like you use your art degree.
How inspiring! I think you are awesome to go for your dreams and put fear aside.
Post a Comment