Tuesday, May 12, 2009

At the beginning of Spring semester, my friend Julie M. (I have to specify because there are two Julies), mentioned she thought I should post some of my creative writing. I really wasn't sure if I was confident enough in my writing to do so, but I figured why not.

This poem was one of the hardest for me to write and become engaged with. The triggering subject was not the best for me and so I had to get, well, creative. As you read and comment, please remember I'm a novice and before this semester I had not written anything in YEARS!

Buena Vista

My bare arms and legs
stick and squeak
against the blue-and-white-striped
vinyl beach chair.

The noon-day sun
presses heavily
upon my feverish skin
as I lay here
with my eyes closed.
A sun bath.
Instead of like water
underneath me
the heats sits on top of me.

A breeze swirls
my strawberry hair
for a moment
pushing aside
the weight of the fiery sun
in the lazy afternoon.

Small waves
lap at the beach
each orchestrating
the red and brown sand
into a new arrangement.

Desert heat
wind in motion
rhythm of the waves.
A compass to my world.

My Big Water.

9 comments:

tearese said...

I think its great! I love reading poems from people I know, because its really a look into who you are, even if its just for an assignment! I have a copy of a poem Sarah O. wrote for a class and its one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Missy I love you you are fabulous!!!:)

loriallen said...

I want to be there with you. What a vivid picture you painted with words. Next time you write a pretty place can I come?

Melissa said...

That was REALLY good! I don't think I could even write any poems. Good Job!

Mellissa said...

Tearese - Thanks. I agree - reading someone else's work lets me see into their life.

Kira - Ditto, girl. :)

Lori - Don't picture me there too hard or I might get a sunburn.

Melissa - Poetry was something I thought I'd dislike but ended up liking it. Next semester will be different thought - we have to write close form poetry, like sonnets and such.

julie said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Thank you!

What was the subject trigger? I'm just curious.

I love the descriptions - short yet powerful in their simplicity. My favorite line was the one about the waves rearranging the sand. Very nice!

I hope you'll be posting more in the future. :)

Mills Family said...

Hi! I just jumped into your blog here! It is so good to read about what you and yours have been up to lately. Ok...so, I LOVE the poem you wrote here. My dad has written a LOT of poems throughout his whole life. He loves to write. His Major was in English. He still writes. Anytime that I ever (or my kids ever...) need any help with how to make things sound better, we go to my dad. He has a flare with words. What a talent!...and you have it too! cool!!

Mills Family said...

Oh, by the way, I think it's so great that you are knowing what you want to do with finishing your schooling up. Elementary Education will be a great Major for you! i think you will be a great teacher. My mom was a teacher and she loved it. My dad was a teacher too. My mom has always told me I should go back to school and become a teacher. It just was something I've never leaned toward though. Maybe working as a teacher's aid for 7 years has ruined me! haha! You teachers do SO much WORK!!! You'll do great though! I'm excited for you. And Ben can related 100% with the teaching profession huh!

Mellissa said...

Julie - Thanks for giving me the idea to post my work in the first place! The triggering subject was a pain! One day in class we all wrote down some little facts about a small town we had visited and traded them with another classmate. Well, let me tell you. The kid who chose Big Water gave me crappy information (something about a Lizard King - no joke, apparently it's a name for Jim Morrison, but I know squat about him anyway)! It took me forever to get around that and find something to let me write.

Lisa - Thanks for stopping by. It's nice to read other people's blogs. I love English, too. I had changed my major to Elementary Education, but I really don't want to teach, and I really loved my creative writing classes, so I think I'm headed back to the English Department. They're like a black hole. It's a tough decision to decide what I want to spend the next three years of my life doing, but during my creative writing class this semester we visited the Braithwaite Art Gallery when they had their Zion Exhibit going on. They had some poetry about Zion from creative writing students hanging in the gallery and I thought about how much I want that to be my work. I never thought or felt that way about teaching. I'll let Ben do that! :)