Wednesday, February 25, 2009

There's a First Time for Everything

I really shouldn't be blogging right now. This week is midterm, which explains why I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. I should be finishing my short story for creative writing that is due tomorrow, or finishing my math review so I'm better prepared for the test tomorrow, or studying for my poetry midterm. But, as you can tell, I'm not. I would have been doing some of those things this afternoon, but after the letter I got in the mail I was just too darn excited. Do you want to know what it said? OK, I'll tell you. It read:

Dear Mellissa,

Congratulations! Based on your outstanding academic achievements, you have been selected as the recipient of a scholarship at Southern Utah University. The details of your scholarship are as follows:

The letter then goes on to give details about my scholarship. It's a Current Student Scholarship for 1 year (2 semesters) for $1800, which will be disbursed over fall and spring semesters. I have to keep a 3.6 GPA and be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours.

I am so excited! I know people get scholarships all the time, but not me. I get some money for school through Pell Grants, but that's different. Pell Grants say I'm poor enough to qualify for their money. A scholarship says I'm smart enough that they're going to pay me to go to school. Isn't that cool?

And the timing couldn't have been better either. The past few weeks I've been really struggling to keep up with school and home, and I've felt like I haven't done either very well. I was almost in tears the other day because I couldn't keep the toilets clean! Yikes. That emotional outburst was probably due to the fact that everyone, except Ben (knock on wood), has been sick over the course of three weeks. I'm on day 10 of trying to get rid of my sinus congestion.

I'm so blessed in my life. I could not function without Ben. He is my life preserver. He keeps me afloat even though sometimes I bring unnecessary baggage. I have a support grow with my in-laws. I could not manage this without them. And although my family is insane, I've learned how to stay tough and trundle through life when things get messy. I'm also very grateful for a Heavenly Father, who knows what I need and when I need it, even though I don't recognize His hand often enough in my life.

Thanks, everyone, for all you do for me. You'll never know how much you mean to me.

14 comments:

tearese said...

yay! Getting Scholarships unexpectedly is always awesome! I think I have the same sinus thing you do. Blah.

Mom Hunt said...

Congratulations! That is a neat suprise.

tearese said...

ps- you must be a much better housekeeper than I if the toilet is usually clean!

Laurel said...

Good job! I'm living vicariously through you and your back to school adventures. :)
My toilets are dirty too, but I don't have illness to blame it on.

Julie Hunt said...

CONGRATS! That is wonderful!!!

Lori Clark said...

Congrats on the scholarship - that is how I paid for most of my education - I remember freaking out when I got 2 A-'s in my second semester, Calculus and Business Law, because it dropped my GPA below the 3.9 they required you to keep back then. I'm glad they lowered that, way to much stress.

By the way my toilets are not clean, and I have no good excuse like mid terms, just lazy.

Melissa said...

That is a GREAT accomplishment! Way to go!

Toilets are a never ending cleaning task here at our house, what with three boys, plus extra boys that I watch. I hate cleaning them!

loriallen said...

Great job for the Scholarship baby! I have a saying about toilets "same crap, different paper" OK, maybe my saying is about toilet paper? Ha! There's another saying that applies "don't cry over spilled urine." Ok, maybe it's spilled milk, but a toilet is never worth a tear!

julie said...

Woohoo! Congratulations! That is totally awesome and I'm very happy for you! I'm sure you deserve it, which makes it that much sweeter.

Speaking of scholarships, everyone agreed that you had the best essay for the WIB scholarship. They said it was obvious you're an English major because you write so well.

Also, I don't have kids, I don't share a bathroom, and my toilet could stand to be cleaned.

Again, congratulations!

Mellissa said...

Tearese - Sorry you're having sinus trouble, too. It's so annoying! I never thought I'd say this, but some days I actually miss cleaning my house on a regular basis.

Jeanne - Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised with that little white envelope.

Laurel - Thanks. I'm glad I can do vicarious schooling for you. This past week was the only time I could blame my dirty toilets on illness.

Julie H. - Thank you! It's a nice mental and financial boost.

Lori C. - How did you manage keeping a 3.9? Good grief! What in the world were you doing taking Business Law? I thought you talked to crazy people? :) I am also glad they've lowered the GPA requirement. I don't need to be any crazier than I already am!

Melissa - Thank you! I do not envy you with your house of boys. My plan is to give them the chore of cleaning the bathrooms when they're a bit older. Hopefully, they'll learn to appreciate hitting the mark. Thank goodness they both sit for now!

Lori A. - Thanks! Your perspective on things always makes me smile and laugh. I miss your craziness! I will try to remember not to cry over spilled urine.

Julie M. - Thanks! I have been working hard, so maybe I do deserve it.

I knew it was a long shot for that WIB scholarship, but I applied anyway. Thanks for the comments about my essay.

I'm always scared someone will come to visit and need to use my bathroom when my toilets are dirty. I have strange worries, though. :)

Lea said...

Congratulations!!! That is so awesome that you got a scholarship I know that that would have definatley help going to College.

Mellissa said...

Lea - Thanks! Yeah, it will be a big financial help for us. It's just good all around!

Lori Clark said...

Business Law was a GE at the time. But at that time I hadn't picked a major yet, I went through at least a dozen before I finally decided.

Nettie said...

Congratulations! Sometimes Heavenly Father knows just when we need an unexpected blessing.