Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Melanie's Science Fair & Spring Break

Last week was the Science Fair for the fifth graders at Fiddlers Elementary. Melanie did her experiment on which stain removers work best - maybe because she tends to spill on herself. She did all of the work herself. I took pictures, and occasionally gave her some direction. She won third place in her class and qualified to compete in the District Science Fair, where she says she will have to sit ALL DAY by her project while people walk by and look at it. Ben told her to take a book.

It was fun for her to do so well. It was not her goal to get a ribbon, she was just having fun with the experiment. She came home the day she won and told me, but we didn't tell Ben because she wanted to wait and surprise him at the open house that night. It was so cute to watch her face as she watched her dad notice the ribbon. Good job, Melanie!

With the Science Fair and everything else that went on last week, the timing for Spring Break could not be better. I really have no plans, and that is perfect for me. Usually I am on-the-go all the time, which I enjoy, but once in a while I like to sit. And that is what I'm doing this week. Do you have any idea how nice it was to get the laundry washed, folded, and put away all in one day? I haven't accomplished that since school started last Fall!

It's nice for the boys to have a little extra Mom time. Carter and I are playing Zelda 'til our hearts' content. I can stay in my pajamas all day if I want to. I don't, but I can.

Once school resumes I'll only have five weeks of school left, plus finals. Crazy! I am so looking forward to summer, swimming, and warm weather! I know I'm jumping the gun, what with living in Cedar City, and as a guy in my English class said, "If you don't like the weather just wait 20 minutes," but it will be nice to be done with the cold for a while. Now watch, because I said that it will snow this week. If it does, I apologize.

11 comments:

Cardine said...

Yeah, Cedar City totally has menopause or something. It gets hot flashes occasionally and is quite moody.

Hooray for spring break!

And wow, nice job on the science fair, Melanie!

Julie Hunt said...

Congrats Melanie!

Wow, to get the laundry washed, folded and put away in one day - what a dream. :) Enjoy your time off.

Mellissa said...

Cardine - I love the menopause reference. It's very fitting - I'll have to remember it. And I agree with hooray for Spring Break!

Julie - It was ridiculously satisfying to get that all done yesterday. I NEVER thought I would say I missed housework, but sometimes I would really rather do it than school. Sometimes, mind you.

loriallen said...

First~ Congratulations Melanie! How fitting with the spot treaters! I think it's because you are all a bit too clean, as if there's such a ting:) Well, cough it up, which one was the best? That's important with 5 out of 6 kids being boys!!! I would LOVE to smell your house right now after laundry day. SNIFF...mmmmm...

julie said...

Congrats, Melanie! I agree with loriallen, which one is best? I'm always spilling, too, so it would be handy to know. What a great idea for a project - did she come up with that by herself?

I'm glad you're getting a chance to take it easy this week and catch up on stuff. I hate putting away laundry but it does feel good to have it done!

Happy Spring Break!

Melissa said...

Good job! Thankfully we didn't have a Science Fair this year, the school decided not to have one and instead focus and study the new Wind turbine that they put in for energy. It is really cool. Anyways I too would love to hear what cleaner worked the best. Enjoy your time off!

Mellissa said...

Lori A. - Melanie was so cute and excited to tell her dad. It was great! Come on over to my house and smell my laundry any day!

Julie M. - She actually did come up with that all by herself. I just gave her guidance along the way. I was impressed with her grasp of the scientific process. She is so like her dad.

Melissa - I think that is a great idea to study the wind turbine. I didn't even know they put one in.

loriallen said...

CMon already, which spot treater cleaned the BEST? Are you keeping this a secret? Are your sponsors not allowing you to divulge the truth until you do a multi-million dollar deal showcasing the results of Melanie's Science Project on national TV?

Mellissa said...

Lori A. - OK, you caught me. I signed a contract and I cannot give away any information until I speak with my lawyers. Actually, so many people asked I'll blog about it as soon as I can. I just like keeping you on edge. ;)

tearese said...

Thats awesome about the fair! I only remember being in a science fair once, and I left my project before the fair started. Some older kids decided they would move mine so theirs could take the spot, and they spilled a liquid component of my project all over everything, breaking the glass it was in in the process. I had to use a coke cup from the cafeteria and then my project looked like crap.
I only entered for the t-shirt, but still!

Lea said...

Congratulations to Melanie that is awesome! I love it when you don't expect to win something then you do it is a nice surprise! Yeah, it is nice to just relax and take it easy! Wish we had a week Srping Break. If you ever want to enjoy heat a little earlier you can definately come visit us!! But I wouldn't recommend in the really hot months cause I hear it gets quite HOT. Can't wait to see you!!