Anyway, I am having serious trouble deciding on a minor. I kind of think something to supplement English would be a good idea, but then I have so many interests I really can't decide! Some of my choices are: History (never thought I'd say that), Nutrition (even though it's like having to tell myself "no-no" every time I eat a chocolate chip cookie), Psychology (that's always been an interest of mine), and Math (never thought I'd say that either but I'm still really enjoying knowing I can succeed in math).
My interests have broadened so much since I last attended college that picking a minor is even more difficult than picking a major. And I register for school in about a month, so the time is NOW to decide. I hate decisions - I'm so good at being a sheep.
Another option is not to get credits for a minor. Starting this fall, SUU no longer requires a minor. I could just take a bunch of classes that interest me and really enjoy those classes, not worrying about whether I have enough credits for a minor. Does that seem like a total waste of time? Since I'm not planning on working after I graduate, it doesn't seem like a bad choice.
Help me! What should I do?
6 comments:
Minors are...minor! Hehe! Minor in what you want to minor in. End of discussion...I'm so smart. But seriously if this degree is for your personal, educational, and what-not development, it should be just that. If you aren't planning on making a career and targeting your degree down that course then minor in what you would like. Whether it's intriguing or a personal challenge. You also have the option of skipping it all together. I think this should be a decision based on what you think would best fir in your life and what Mellissa would most enjoy doing. My degree was based on having a fallback. That's why it was a teaching degree. I hope and plan on going back one day to take the classes I was intrigued by and never took because of scheduling, empending graduation, etc. What intrigues you?
that sounds fun to take a bunch of classes in different fields...but I guess its also good to focus on something that could also be a source of income someday in the future. If it was me, I'd like psychology, but I don't know whats best for you!
This is how I chose my minor: "Hmmm. I'm already talking French classes for a BA, I'll just take a few more for my minor." Also, I wanted to learn French better, so it worked out.
I guess I'm saying do what you want to do. What interests you? Yeah, taking a lot of different classes would be kind of cool, but there's something about taking a lot of classes in one field that is even better - you really get to learn the subject!
I agree with Lori. Because you don't plan on using the degree for a career, take the classes that YOU want to take. (I would LOVE to go back to school now and take the classes that I want to take!) Lucky you!!!! :)
Lori A. Thanks for the minors are minors thought. That helped. I still haven't decided what I'm doing for sure, but now the pressure is off because I know that either way is a good decision.
Tearese - I am quite excited at the possibility of being able to choose whatever classes I want. A minor in Psychology is still an option for me.
Julie M. - I thought about doing that with French, but having never been anywhere where people actually speak French I thought it might be difficult. My main goal for my elective credit is to take classes that will enhance my major.
Julie H. My academic advisor said the same thing. She thinks it would be a shame to not take the classes I want just for the sake of having a minor. It's good to hear from you!
That is nice that you don't actually have to have a minor, but it just adds another option to decide between. My minor was Psychology, for three reasons, I liked the classes (but not enough to major in it), I had a lot of psych credits, and it tied in well with my major.
Post a Comment