Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Short Update on My Busy Life

I really hate that I haven't been posting on my blog like I used to. I don't know why I haven't. My first guess would be that I've been too busy, but I don't really think that's it. Sometimes I think it's because I don't think I have anything exciting or meaningful to share. But I don't think that's it either because I love reading friends' blogs who simply update what their lives are like.
In an effort to combat this lack-of-postingness, I am posting. Clever, huh?

Admittedly, life has been really busy. I started school again this semester, which I really love. I'm taking four classes: Educational Decision Making, Principles of Learning & Teaching, Trigonometry, and Math for Elementary Education Teachers I.

The Educational Decision Making class is interesting. There are four professors teaching the class and each one teaches a different section/aspect of teaching. The first section was not my favorite. The teacher was nice, but did too much lecturing on what he did with technology, and not enough showing us options for what we could do. However, the second section started this past week and the teacher's style is much more dynamic. It's a good change. And this professor is teaching about what we teach, how we teach, etc., rather than teaching us different technology things. I know I need to embrace the technology that's out there, but I'm going to stomp my foot and say, "I don't want to!" for just a little bit longer.

The Principles of Learning & Teaching is super easy. It's also superfluous. The professor is really nice, but I do feel that most of it is a waste of time. Not that what we're learning in there isn't important, but more that it will be learned through other classes as well.

I never took Trig in high school, so this is all new for me. The professor is a total nut. She tells crazy stories, makes us stand up and move around if we're not responding to her as much as she'd like, and is generally sarcastic. She's also crazy strict on test day. As in taking a student's test away because they had out their cell phone. It was kind of scary. I haven't witnessed that kind of stuff since high school.
My last class is Math for Elementary Ed Teachers. I'm really enjoying it, although it is a bit of a challenge. Mostly because I've been used to doing math one way for so long, that to practice thinking in other ways is difficult. I suppose that's how the students feel when they're first learning. Knowing that I know a little bit how they feel is comforting. The professor is very good. She's open to all kinds of questions and exploring ideas. She also likes for us to teach each other.
All in all, life is busy but good. Now, if I could just kick this cold and get rid of my stiff neck I'd be ready for my all-day practicum at CVMS tomorrow!

10 comments:

Ruth said...

I LOVE Trig! :)

Amy said...

I will miss the "boringness" of your crazy life. :)

シ LAR'N シ said...

Mellissa!! You updated your blog! YAY!! Now... I should proably update mine.... yuck....

Anonymous said...

Hey, I took Math for Elementary Teachers, too. What is your teachers name? Maybe it's who I had... M-something? Anyway, I liked the class.

Also, I, too, have a stiff neck. What's up with that?! And maybe a cold soon, if I continue to stay up so late. :(

Hope your practicum went well!

Mom Hunt said...

Love to read your postings!

Erin Shakespear said...

Yay! I'm so glad you posted. And it was great seeing you today. Let's not let months go by before we do that again! :)

p.s. You will be one rockin' awesome teacher!

Mellissa said...

Sarah - Did you take it from Marty Larkin? I have her for Trig right now. The teacher I have for Elem Ed Math is new, but I like her. And I HATE having a stiff neck. I'd take a cold over that any day! I hope you're feeling better. :)

Erin - I agree! No more months until we laugh about things like you eating with a tiny fork. ;) I had a blast today! Thanks!!!

Kendra said...

Thanks for the update. I like to read updates too, even if they aren't some huge exciting thing. I didn't know you are in school. That's great! I hope it continues to go well. Good luck getting over your cold.

tearese said...

I don't think I could handle going back to school right now! Kiera is taking one class and it's totally crazy with a new baby. Sounds like you're doing great! Trig was the last class I took in high school; I got good grades in it but i felt stupid because I was the only senior in the class...I guess all others had stopped taking math by that point, or were already in Calculus. Did i mention my math score is what brought down my whole ACT score? Yeah.
I haven't updated for a while because I feel pretty boring as well..and someone on their blog said no one cares about people's fourth babies, which is pretty much all I have to talk about right now.

Mellissa said...

Tearese - I think fourth babies are just as exciting as first babies! So blog all you want. At least you'll have one follower who will enjoy those tedious newborn moments with you.

Life is really crazy with school and kids and church stuff, but I've got an amazing support system. Without them there is no way I'd be able to go back to school.