Monday, March 7, 2011

Marriage and Parenthood

This morning I was reading a friend's blog. She was talking about all the reasons she enjoys being single, and how being single shouldn't be filled with constant complaints about not being married. I agree, and feel that marriage and parenthood should incorporate the same idea. We shouldn't fill our married life with complaints about our spouses and children.



So, using her fun post as a guide, I decided to share with you some of the reasons I enjoy being married and a parent. In no particular order:



#1. I have a close support system, not just in proximity but emotionally as well. Whether I'm happy or sad or tired or sick or just plain worn out, I have someone to cover for me.



#2. With all the different personalities at my house, I'm provided with opportunities to learn how to work with those personalities. That helps me wherever I go.



#3. My friend mentioned she can eat whatever she wants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner without worrying about another person's dietary restrictions or taste preferences. I can do likewise, but if I did, I'd probably end up making something else for the pickier eaters at my house. So I learn to compromise. Sometimes I make what I like and they don't, and they have to eat it anyway. And sometimes they get to choose. And sometimes I make something we all like! Those days are good days!



#4. I have learned that locking both the bedroom door and the bathroom door will ensure some privacy.



#5. Because I'm the one who cleans the bathrooms I have taught the boys to be very clean in the bathroom. I'm sure their future wives will appreciate that.



#6. Not a day goes by where I don't hear "I love you, Mom."



#7. Not a day goes by where I don't hear "I love you, Miss."



#8. Not a day goes by where I tell them "I love you, Mel, I love you, Carter, I love you, Riley, I love you, Ben."



#9. My life is filled with all sizes of hugs. Big bear hugs, gentle side hugs, quick hugs, and hugs around my hips that are usually accompanied by kisses on my cheek.



#10. There is no lack of humor at my house. I have a quick-witted and spunky 12-year-old, who has more common sense than a lot of adults I know, an 8-year-old who can beat me at most video games, and a 5-year-old who is the king of one-liners. For example, the other day he was asked how he would feel if we got rid of some media that was making his older brother uncomfortable because of the animated blood. Riley responded with a shrug of his shoulders and said, "Life is life."



#11. Knowing that a day like today, with the wonderful wet snow, would bring Riley to throw a snowball at me.



#12. We all love Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon series. I love having Avatar marathons with our whole family.



#13. Ben's treat-making abilities. If I weren't married, I'd still be making the cookies, and although mine aren't bad, Ben's are...addictive. Seriously.



#14. Working on my Personal Progress with Melanie. It has already brought blessings to my life and to my relationship with Melanie.



#15. Having Carter build crazy weapons with his Legos, and then explaining to me the intricacies of how they operate.



#16. Riley telling me he'll give me "thinking hugs and kisses" every time I drop him off somewhere.



#17. Having a human radiator to stick my cold feet on when I get into bed.



Don't get me wrong; it's not all sunshine and roses, and sometimes I want to pull my hair out and scream. And sometimes I lose my temper. I'm working on that every day. But why not look at the good in our situations, find that silver lining on our clouds?

8 comments:

loriallen said...

I love it Mellissa! I feel the same way. The ways I would not have ever grown without my children and husband. I feel I am able to learn selflessness and right when I think I am pretty good at it, I go through some growing pains and learn some more. I have never felt so loved in my life. With the adoration of my husband, and children, I kinda feel like Wonder Woman! It's work, but I am the one who reaps the rewards..and there are so many to reap :) PS Cold feet! BRRRRR!

Mom Hunt said...

Love it when you write and I agree we need to find that silver lining on our clouds even when its hard.

Cardine said...

Thank you for understanding the point of why I blogged that. I understand that people get tired of their situations, but I just wanted to highlight positives of mIne. And I wanted people to think of positives of their situation. So thanks! And I like yours. You have a wonderful family with great personalities all meshing together!

Kendra said...

I loved that. Thank you! I laughed at the last one - that's the way we are. Jared can't figure out how my feet can be fine one minute and then freezing as soon as I get into bed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! I enjoy that it comes as a companion post to Cardine's.

Thanks for your positive point of view.

Mills Family said...

I totally agree with you. I have been really focussing on doing this (thinking, talking, being aware of the positive things in marriage and family life) for the past many several years and it has proven to make a huge change in my whole self and outlook about marriage and family life. In the beginning years of my marriage, I would get sucked into the group girl talk (at work, or places like that) where they talk negatiely about their spouses, etc. and it was not a good experience. I knew things weren't going in the right direction being involved in this type of talk. So, in the past several years as I've changed this in my own life (And just walk away from groups who are talking negatively about their marriages, spouses, kids, extended families)I've been so much happier, and have only seen the good outweigh so much of the bad and stressful parts of marriage and family life. Jay and I will be celebrating our 16 year anniversary this summer! Our life is so awesome together! I can't wait for the next 16 plus years! Loved your neat thoughts about marriage and parenthood Missy!

tearese said...

Yes, the personal heater is my favorite at my house. And I luckily have a husband who tells me I have cold feet, but never makes me move them!

シ LAR'N シ said...

Dear Mellissa -
I will try to make my life as awesome as possible and not to complain about my single-ness.