Saturday, August 28, 2010

My Love-Hate Relationship with the Harry Potter Series

With summer bringing a little less structure and a little more relaxation (I love being married to a teacher for that reason), we settled down as a family and watched the Harry Potter movies. We started with Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and then moved on to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, eventually jumping to the earlier movies. These two movies, which I love, got me all wound up for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which comes out in November...well the first half anyway.

Of course, next I went online to watch the Trailer for HP7. I get the tinglies every time I watch it. And, yes, I'm a total nerd, I've watched it several times. I then decided I still needed more Harry Potter and decided to read the series over again.

I'm the kind of person who can read a book over and over again and still enjoy it. I don't remember all the details, just the main ideas and whether or not I liked the book. I used to hate that I couldn't remember what I read, especially when it came to testing in school, when my reading comprehension was tested. But now when I read it's for pure enjoyment and I don't have to remember everything. This lack of memory is what enables me to continue enjoying books I've previously read.

I first read Harry Potter in the summer of 2000. Our family was living in Vancouver, WA at the time, and Melanie and I had traveled down to Cedar City for my best friend's wedding. After enjoying visiting my friend and attending her wedding, I headed home, and my mother-in-law, Jeanne, was kind enough to drive home with Melanie and me.

I had heard about the Harry Potter series from several people, and they all said the same thing: Harry Potter is amazing, awesome, great, etc. I wasn't a big fan of fantasy books. I can count on my left hand the number of fantasy books I had read, and I remember thinking, "What is the big deal about a book about an 11-year-old boy wizard?" So on the way back to Vancouver, Jeanne handed me Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. "Read it," she said. Not one to argue, but to please, I didn't object when she climbed into the driver's seat. I settled in the back, next to a 20-month-old Melanie, (still bald, but very cute), and cracked open the beginning of Harry's story.

I could tell you how I couldn't put it down, but as we were in a car and there wasn't much else to do that statement wouldn't hold as much weight as it usually does. I'll just say I don't remember much of the drive because I was at Hogwarts with Harry, finding my way in the wizarding world, making friends, and helping Harry stop Voldemort from obtaining the Sorcerer's Stone. Needless to say, I was hooked. Here's where the love part of the relationship began.

At that time, the first three books were out, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was to come out soon. I devoured the second and third books and impatiently waited for the fourth. What torture!

Little did I know there would be continual bouts of torture from the lovely J.K. Rowling. After each book came out, I would immerse myself in Harry's world with the same appetite as I did with the first book, only it intensified with each new book, as Harry and his world become more complex. I felt Harry's elation when he found Sirius and learned who his godfather truly was. I struggled along with him as he competed in the Triwizard Tournament, fought and made up with Ron, and battled and beat Voldemort yet again. I felt his frustration at being treated like a kid when he'd been through much more than most adults, especially when he lost Sirius. My stomach had sympathy butterflies every time Harry thought of Ginny and when he FINALLY kissed her. My heart stopped (and my hand flew to my mouth) when Harry watched Snape use the Killing Curse that caused Dumbledore to sail over the edge of the Astronomy tower and fall from its lofty height.

Then along came Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Hallows versus Horcruxes; Harry, Hermione, and Ron constantly on the run and narrowly escaping capture; taking Hogwarts back from the evil deisigns of the Carrows and Snape. Snape. I loathe him, and I didn't feel too badly when he met his rather sticky end. I really have trouble getting other things done when I'm in that book. Dishes don't get washed as quickly, laundry stays unfolded and slightly wrinkled in the laundry basket, and peanut butter sandwiches are usually what gets served for lunch...and dinner. How am I supposed to get those things done when I'm helping Harry, Hermione, and Ron find and destroy Horcruxes, not to mention rid the wizarding world of Voldemort?!

So what could I possibly hate about Harry Potter? Nothing. Nothing, except for the fact that I hate when it's over. I don't want to read anything else. I have Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read, and I have no desire to read them. Ben told me I'll love those books, and I believe him, but all I want to do is go back to Hogwarts and stay there. I want Hogwarts to be real.

12 comments:

Mills Family said...

I Missy! Oh, I love how you write!!! I love how you make me feel like I'm experiencing the same feelings that you are experiencing! Your blog is so much fun for me to read! Hey, I just read your comment on my "date night" post ... and believe me... you WILL be having date nights as soon as your baby is 8 years old. Missy, I'm in a wierd new part of my life! It is sad and wonderful all at the same time! I miss having little diaper bums crawling around my floor at home....but I also really am getting use to the new sudden independance I find myself in daily...with kids who are off playing at their friends houses. It's wierd! I feel like an "older" type mom. But, it is making it possible for Jay and I to date a bit more easily now...it's wonderful! You would have loved that choir Missy! They were an LDS choir that sang there at the catholic church. They seriously sounded like a mini tabernacle choir. It was quite the neat spirit there. very fun! And, it was also cool to see inside of a different type church. Also, very fun! Hey, chat with ya later! I miss ya!

Mom Hunt said...

Forgot that i gave you a book, it is not to often that I do that. If you haven't read the Hunger Games and Catching Fire I really think you should.

Lori Clark said...

I'm impatiently waiting for the last (2) movies and have watched the trailer for Novembers release too.

I do think you need to read the Hunger Games books - I impatiently waiting to get the third book - I pre-ordered from Amazon and it won't be here till tomorrow. It is my book club book for September - but I know we will be discussing in on Wednesday when we should be discussing last month's book.

Cardine said...

What a timely post. When traveling back from SLC yesterday, I listened to the 6th movie. I love it. I am proud of myself though, because I demonstrated excellent self-control by not watching it while I drove.

julie said...

Missy, I totally understand! I love this series, too, less so the movies, but definitely the books! I have reread them numerous times and even have read the 7th in french (and plan on getting and reading the other 6 in french, too). Even though I like the books better, I'm really looking forward to the final 2 movies and am actually glad they're doing it in 2 installments.

I love Snape.

People keep telling me I need to read the Hunger Games series, too. I'm sure I'll enjoy them, but the more people tell me that, the less I have a desire to read them. Sigh.

Cardine, you're a better woman/driver than me. I'm sure I would've looked a few times, at least! :)

tearese said...

I was refusing to read Harry Potter even though I DID grow up reading fantasy, just because it was sooo popular. THen Sarah brought it along on a car trip in 2001 to visit Cardine in Wyoming, (well, it was the audio version). While I usually HATE listening to audio books, it was so great. Then when I moved to Seattle later that summer, it took several months to find a job, and I read the published books at my Aunt's house and loved them. I was reading book six? When I got engaged to Joseph, then we read them all together after we got married. I feel like I should read them over again, because honestly I hate being read to, and I feel I probably missed a lot of details when Joseph was taking his turn reading to me. And I am sooo bummed the nearest theater is two hours away, so its very unlikely we'll see the last movies in the theater.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

You know how when you got married, you thought the love for Ben filled your heart to capacity, and then when you had your kids, you realized you could love them as much as well?

Yea...books are like that too. There is room for more love, more books, more characters. You don't give up, you just add to.

Read Hunger Games and fall in love again.

Mellissa said...

Lisa - Thanks for the comment on my writing. I really enjoying blogging because there's no pressure - I just do it when I want to. I would have loved to hear the choir!

Jeanne - Yes, ma'am, I can blame my obsession on you.

Lori - I just finished The Hunger Games and am having trouble waiting to start Catching Fire because I know I won't get anything done this afternoon if I do! I'd love to join your book club! If you have room, that is.

Cardine - I haven't ever listened to them because I never drive any long distances. Ben listened to some while we lived in WA and while he commuted to and from Panguitch. He liked them that way.

Julie - I also like the books better than the movies. The movies are like a quick fix when I don't have time for the books. How can you like Snape? Him and his unrequited love. Bah. His greasy hair fit his personality perfectly. He got what he deserved in the end. Don't get me started, okay? ;) (Ben and I constantly have the same argument.)

Tearese - I would much rather read than be read to, because then when/if my mind wanders I can go back on my own. I'm sorry you'll miss the last one in theaters. Sometimes it's nice to watch it at home, too.

Tasha - I totally agree! I've always loved reading, but as I've grown older my tastes have broadened and I find myself enjoying books even more. I just read The Hunger Games and enjoyed it immensely!

Lori Clark said...

I would love for you to join the book club - we meet the first Wednesday of every month at 7:00 at a house a few streets over from mine. Tonight we are discussing "The Giver" which was one of my suggestions, is is a Newbery Award Winner - I've been working my way through those.

We will be discussing Mockingjay on October 6th - unless everyone talks about it tonight, which I'm going to greatly discourage as I have yet to receive my copy from Amazon.

Erin Shakespear said...

Great post. Yes, I love Harry as well.

I recently reread the first book. I've been rereading fantasy books I love as I struggle to revise the plot for my MG in preparation for the rewrites.

It's an amazing addictive world J.k. created. I sure would love to sit down with her for lunch and pick her brain a bit.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely my favorite post of all time (and not just because I agree with you in every aspect). Well said!! (er... written.)

"This lack of memory is what enables me to continue enjoying books I've previously read." Thank you for putting into words something that I have felt but didn't know how to explain very well.

Snape... yes, interesting... I remember first thinking how brave he was, blah, blah, blah, but the last time I read (er, listened) to Book 7, I came away thinking, "really?! what a waste." And that's how I feel about it.

I think the Hunger Games series is very exciting and very entertaining. On one hand I can see the problem of having a book (or movie) built up too much and spoken of too highly, that your expectations are higher than they should be... but I also can see the problem of not even giving something a chance because it's too popular... which doesn't seem to be the case with you.

I'll be the first to support your timing... whenever you're ready to open up your heart again is fine with me.

Oh, I just noticed that you have started reading them. And by the looks of it you'll probably finish before I get a chance to finish book 3!! :D

Julie Hunt said...

I am reading Hunger Games and Catching Fire again before I read Mockingjay. (Although it is killing me. I SO want to just read the third one but it has been over a year since I read the other two and I have read so many books since then that I rally want to refresh my memory before diving into book 3.) I know you will love them!