Seriously.
A couple of weeks ago our computer caught a virus. And it wasn't getting over it, so we had to get a new one (wouldn't that be awesome if we could do that with ourselves when we catch viruses?) Anyway, we were planning on buying a laptop anyway (since Ben and I are both going to school it wasn't working with just one computer), so we just ordered a desktop along with it.
The desktop arrived last week and Ben put it up just perfectly. He claims he doesn't know about computers, but I think that's hogwash. He almost always figures out the problem. That is, unless I've touched something.....
My laptop came today! I was so excited. Ben wasn't home from work yet, but I figured I could set it up on my own. It was actually quite simple. I got it on, registered, connected to our wireless Internet all by myself. I was just playing around when I realized I hadn't written down my password to get it back on, so I figured the sooner I tried out my password the easier I could remember it. You'd think, right?
Half an hour, and a plethora of tries later I still couldn't log on to my laptop! I knew my password had either been a certain number in front of a word or behind it. But no matter what combination I tried I could not log in. I figured I must have misspelled the password during the initial setup. Ben tried all he could but he couldn't figured out how to reset it either. So I ended up calling technical support.
Let me just say this. I have nothing against foreigners. I love people from Russia, Spain, France, Germany, Australia, Africa. You name it, I'm good. But why, oh why for the love of my sanity do people hire employees who don't speak English very well to work over the telephone? I could hardly understand a word that woman was saying! Ben asked me later what some of the words I had written down meant. I told him I didn't know - I just wrote down any word I could understand from her. You should have heard how many times I asked, "Can you say that again?" or "What did you say?" or "Would you repeat that please?" No joke. It was insane.
Thankfully the recovery for the system didn't work properly the first time and Ben had to call back. Of course he got to speak with someone he could understand.
Anyway, it all worked out. I love my own laptop. It's so shiny. So shiny it's making me crazy when I get my fingerprints on it. But we won't go into my obsessive compulsiveness right now. That's a whole other post! I'm typing on my laptop this very moment, and Ben is working on homework on our home computer. I should be doing homework, but I'm not. :)
8 comments:
Glad it all worked out.
I really love new electronics and totally want to buy a new laptop. But I am trying to be frugal.
Hooray for the new laptop! I'm glad you were able to solve the problem with it and are able to use it. Woohoo! I totally understand the fingerprint thing. I'm a bit like that with my new table.
Mom - I can just see you laughing while this was all going on. Ben was giggling at me enough as it is when he walked in the door. That is until he pushed buttons he shouldn't have. ;)
Cardine - Yeah, I understand the frugal thing. We talked about it all semester before deciding that it was worth it, especially because Melanie needs to use the computer for school quite frequently also. It's been wonderful so far.
Julie - I'm glad I'm not the only one with a touch of OCD and keeping things tidy and clean! Great minds think alike.
You are hilarious! I once accidentally downloaded a virus that I thought was an upgrade to our spyware! Restore our computer and it wasn't fun at all!
we could probably use two computers too, but for now one will do..we just got ours last winter. We always get Indian guys for tech support too.
That is funny we were talking about that thing just this weekend how they hire people that can't even talk to you. If that isn't frustrating I don't know what is good grief!
Lori - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with computers. They drive me crazy sometimes, but I can't live without them!
Tearese - We wouldn't have had two, but with so many of us trying to work aroud one, it just wasn't working. It has been wonderful so far.
Lea - Seriously, that woman was so hard to understand. And then she'd slow down and get louder when I asked her to repeat what she said. Like I was deaf! Good grief is right. :)
Post a Comment