A certain friend, (cough, Tearese, cough) teased me because I kept changing my background even though I hadn't written anything new in a while. School has been really crazy, and I feel like I've been tutoring people in math - that in and of itself is scary. I only have one week left of school and then finals, and then SUMMER. That is, if mother nature decides to figure that out.
Anyway, I've been so busy I haven't been able to keep up to date, and I felt like I didn't have anything to say for a while. But of course, Riley will give me something to write about.
A few months ago I noticed one of his eyes doing something weird. It was like it couldn't follow where it was supposed to go. My sister-in-law noticed it too, and I figured it was time for an appointment with the eye doctor.
I took him yesterday, and of course, it's some rare thing. He actually has two weird things going on with his eyes. He has overacting inferior oblique. Basically his inferior oblique muscles that control his eye are too powerful and he can't fight it all the time, so one eye gives way while the other one stays focused. I thought it was just his left eye that went unfocused, but the doctor showed me and it's actually both eyes. It's mainly cosmetic. It won't hinder him developmentally. They will see us again in four months to see if the condition is any worse. They eventually can do a surgery for it, but it's not 100 percent correctable. The doctor said it's really uncommon. He maybe sees two to three kids a year with this.
The other thing the doctor found was that Riley has retinal coloboma. Basically there was something going on while his eyes were forming in utero and that affected his retina. It's like there is a gap in his retina. They took a picture of his eye at the office - it was the coolest thing to see. Anyway, he's sure it's not a tumor on his retina (like retinal blastoma) but he wants to get a second opinion. We go in again in May when a retinal specialist will be in the doctor's office to check it out.
Ben and I both googled these conditions to find out more. There is mostly just medical jargon on the overacting inferior oblique, but the coloboma had some interesting material. Coloboma is connected to a syndrome called CHARGE that is to believed to be caused by a disruption of fetal growth during the first three months of pregnancy and affecting many different organ systems undergoing development at that time. I had some issues with my pregnancy around 16 weeks, and discovered I had a subchorionic hemorrhage. There can also be urogenital abnormalities associated with CHARGE, like undescended testicles. Remember Riley's inguinal hernias? Not as dramatic as undescended testicles, but they both kind of take the same path.
The doctor also asked if Riley has always had such a prominent forehead, like mine. It's a good thing I don't get offended easily! That got me thinking that this is all connected, because it took nearly three years for his fontanel to completely close. There is still a tiny little soft spot on his head now!
I don't know if he has CHARGE, or what the route would be if he did. He's a little smarty pants and everything else with him is developing well. It's just interesting to see all the relations with this stuff.
Riley has always been the one to do things his way. Melanie and Carter were angel babies, and Riley is balancing them out with all his mischief!
8 comments:
I saw his eye just a while ago and asked if he went to the doctor and Carter said yes. I said what did they say and he said I don't know. I just laughed and thought of corse he would not know. Anyway I was glad that you had it all written down for me to read. Thanks.
WOW! That is a lot to take in! I had two boys with undescended testicles,one boy required surgery. Isn't it crazy to try and put all the pieces together? Talk about not getting offended easily. I had one lady at church just out and say "so did your boys have baby-bottle-rot on their teeth?" I just saud no, explained and went on. I wish she could hve helped in their bills. I guess she wasn't THAT concerned.
I'm so happy for you that school is almost over! Are you taking any classes over the summer? I tried once and couldn't handle not having a summer break, so I never did again.
I'm glad that Riley's eye problems aren't affecting him developmentally. He's such a cute kid and seems really bright.
You sound so smart with all your medical terms. Thats a little scary, but its good that it doesn't seem to be affecting him developementally or anything. Another friend of mine who's blog I read just had to have her 20 month old go in for surgery because his eye kept turning inward. Thats crazy Riley's soft spot took so long! Josh's seemed gone by like 6months and I was afraid he'd have to have that surgery where thye have to expand a kids head because it still needs to grow.
And,hey, at least you were changing the background! I know how busy school can be!
Darn. I guess that's the problem with subscribing to blogs. You miss the changing of backgrounds...
Tonia - Yeah, Carter isn't the best one to get information from. That whole "brainmelt" issue! :)
Lori A. - It is a lot to take in, but it's nothing too serious, and at least it won't affect him developmentally. The doctor mentioned that he sees in stereo vision when he looks straight ahead but he didn't say anything about how it is when he looks sideways, so I wonder about that. Sorry about the dopey lady who talked to you. It's amazing how tactless people can be!
Julie - I am so glad this semester is almost over. I have enjoyed all my classes and professors, with the exception of one. Summer will be so appreciated by me. No, I'm not taking any classes during the summer, both for my sake and my kids'. Riley is a cutie, but a total pill at the same time.
Tearese - I only sound smart because I typed what the website said. It was weird to see all the strange connections thought. I'm just glad you kept checking to see if I was still alive in the blogging world!
Cardine - Yeah, it's annoying with the background thing. I make simple things ridiculously difficult sometimes.
I really like your background, you picked a cute one. That is crazy about Riley and all the puzzle pieces coming together. I hope he is okay, it is never fun learning something might be wrong with your kids. Yahoo for almost being out of school for the summer:)
Hey Missy,
This is Bradie, Ben's cousin. I read your blog once in a while to see what is going on in Cedar City.
I have a cousin on my mom's side that was diagnosed with CHARGE syndrome when he was a baby. He is now 21. My aunt could provide you with tons of information if you need it-either to rule CHARGE out or just to have the information to compare. Just let us know and keep us updated. Your kids are all so cute.
Bradie
Post a Comment