Saturday, March 28, 2009

It's That Time Again!

It really is that time again! Major changing time. You knew it was going to happen, didn't you? I hoped it wouldn't, but it's really great that it has.

I've decided to major in Elementary Education for a number of reasons, some of which are because I do not want to major in English. Not that I feel the need to justify my decision, most college students change their major several times, or wait a couple of semesters before deciding anyway. But I feel sometimes like I need to convince myself. Here are my reasons, in no particular order.

#1. I found out I do not want to major in English. That is probably what spurred my desire to find a new major. The biggest reason I don't want to major in English is because I can't spend four more years debating with professors about papers. What I mean is when I turn in a paper with my ideas on it, and I get back a grade I don't think reflects what my work earned, and some of that grade is because the teacher didn't think I "dug deep enough" it drives me crazy. Well, I didn't dig deep - because that 's how I read things. I'm not a "find the hidden message" sort of girl. I can read books over and over again and enjoy them just as much as the first time. This reason is the only one not associated with education that made my decision to switch majors.

#2. I have really enjoyed my education general ed class. I know it's super easy, and there is not much required of me, but it got me thinking about education, what kind of teacher I can be, what I can do in the classroom, etc. Had I not taken that class for a general ed requirement, I don't think I would have leaned toward education.

#3. It is such a good fallback for my family. And it's something I would enjoy doing - at least I think I would. I'll never know until I'm actually in the classroom, but I think I'll have a better experience with my education if I have the idea that I will do well as a teacher.

#4. I actually know a lot of people who are majoring in education, and while it's nice to have friends to take classes with, that's not why I will do it. Since I know these people it helps me to see all the types of personalities that work well with education.

#5. Elementary Education really fits my personality and learning style. One thing that always stressed me out when choosing a major was me thinking, "How can I be good enough to do well in the upper division courses for this area?" I'm a very well-rounded learner. I like a collection of subjects, and Elementary Education allows me to gain knowledge and then teach in each subject. This is actually one of the reasons I'm most excited to take education classes.

#6. The Department Chair and the Academic Advisor are really helpful. Most of the advisors I've spoken with already were the same way. When I was admitted as a music major, the PVA Advisor was great. I actually already know the Education Chair - he was my 7th grade core teacher, and I really liked him back then, too. The advisor is really helpful and knows her stuff. She'll also register you early as soon as you know what classes you want, and even if you don't she'll help you figure out a schedule and then register you. It's very nice.

Anyway, after this post I'm now convinced! Just kidding, I was convinced before I wrote this post!

11 comments:

Laurel said...

Hooray! You will be a great teacher.

I'm not hoping you change again, but if you do, I'm watching. When I dropped out I was doing Elem. Ed. and I have no idea what I will major in when I go back. Maybe I'll just do whatever you do. :)

Have I mentioned that I'm proud, jealous of you for going back to school? I am.

Mellissa said...

Thanks, Laurel. I always wonder if I'll be good at what I choose, so someone telling me I will be helps a lot.

I hope I don't change again either, because then I'll have too many credits and will stop qualifying for Pell Grants. So this better be it.

Thanks for being proud, but don't be jealous. Unless, of course, you'd like to take my math exam on Thursday. Exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and conic sections. Oh, joy.

Lea said...

Well I am very happy for you! It is hard when there are so many many options out there as far as what to major in but it is good you are exploring you options and that you are changing now versus later on when you have taken a lot of classes and like you said would have to take so many credits.

Melissa said...

Fun! Fun! I think that you would be great as a teacher. Elementary Ed was always what I wanted to do, but now I really don't want to go back to school, even though it would only be about 2 year, since I have my associates. But I don't really want the stress of teaching and I can still work in the schools with my associates. That is what I want to do when all my kids are in school full-time.

Lori Clark said...

I think you would be a great teacher; I would love my kids to have you as a teacher.

I changed my major so many times, I finally settled with communication because I enjoyed those classes the most.

julie said...

Whenever you start to worry that you're changing your major again, remember that I changed mine more times than I could count. On the day I graduated, my aunt sheepishly asked my mom what I was graduating in because she could never keep track.

I think Education is a great major and I bet you'll be a wonderful Elementary school teacher! You're so fun and spunky that I bet you'll be a favorite teacher really quickly.

tearese said...

who was your seventh grade core teacher? You know thats Joseph's major too...it gets harder the further you go, but I think he still likes it. Good luck!

Julie Hunt said...

I think it is okay to change your major as many times as you choose to! Part of going to college is learning more about who you are and you really don't know that until you try something and realize the "shoe fits" or it doesn't. I think it takes a bigger person to change majors then to say "I made a decision and I am going to stick with it" and then see them miserable for years afterwards.

SUU has an amazing education program so I don't think you could have chosen a better school for the major you have chosen. (Okay, so I am a bit biased!)

Mellissa said...

Lea - I think it's going to be fun. It would be much better to change around a lot in the beginning than for me to take several semesters of coursework just because I felt I needed to stick it out. I'm excited for my fall classes.

Melissa - That will be fun for you to work in your kids' classrooms once they are all in school. I really enjoyed working in Melanie's kindergarten and 1st grade rooms. It's so nice to see how my kids function at school versus at home, and to see what their teachers are like.

Lori C. - I would love to be your "rainbows and sunshine" girls' teacher. It took an English course other than strictly composition for me to realize the type of English I am good at is spelling and grammar and punctuation - things that will come in handy as an elementary teacher - not analyzing and interpreting what dead people wrote. Ick. I can't wait until this semester is over with!

Julie - Thanks for changing your major so many times - it makes me not feel as bad! :) I knew I would have to try things on before I found a fit. Hopefully this is it.

Tearese - My seventh grade core teacher was Mr. Bowler. I knew Joseph was doing education, but I didn't realize it was elementary education. I'm OK with the classes getting harder, as long as I'm enjoying what I'm learning along the way.

Julie - I always worry way too much about what everyone else thinks, so thank you for your feedback. I would rather try out several different things, than be stubborn and stick with one just because. I agree SUU has an amazing education program, despite your bias. :) They actually have people from districts all over Utah and it's surrounding states come to SUU to recruit teachers.

loriallen said...

You go girl! The world is your oyster! The only thing now is to choose-which oyster!!! Education is great when working and with kids going to school. Ya know it kinda fits you. You're organized, you have some serious classroom management at home, you are even tempered and you need a degree! I loved my degree. No, it wasn't my first choice, but ultimately, it was my BEST choice. All I say is kudos to you for going to school and getting a bachelors. Your kids will benefit from it too!

tearese said...

Its so funny, every time I check your blog, its the same post but the background is different! At least it keeps it exciting!