Saturday, July 21, 2012

SCHOOL!

This year I will have one child in high school, one in fourth grade, and my baby (don't you dare tell him I said that - he'll destroy me if he finds out I called him my baby) will be in first grade.


Life really does go by so ridiculously fast.  I can't believe Melanie will be in high school.  She's so excited.  But she's a nerd like me because she's not excited about seeing her friends or cute boys.  No.  She's excited about all her classes and buying school supplies.  


Love that girl.  The two of us can spend hours in Staples or rummaging through the school supplies at Walmart and not come out with anything and still be perfectly content.


I know, we have problems.  We're okay with that.


Carter and Riley will be starting a new adventure at a new school this year.  A school in our district is partnering with SUU and is becoming a STEAM school.  STEAM stands for science, technology, engineering, arts, and math.  Both boys truly love science, and there will be a lot of boots on the ground with all the help from SUU.  They're excited about it.  I am, yet at the same time I worry about it being the best thing for them.  New school, teachers, friends.  I'm trying to just stay positive and patient.  


That's tough sometimes.


And to add to all the changes, I'm also going back to school.  When I originally decided to take a break I was going to wait until Riley was in first grade.  Now that he's there, I know the opportunity is right.


And I'm so excited!


I know there's a reason I needed to wait.  It's given me time to figure out that Elementary Ed is really what I want to do.


And I get to buy school supplies.


I'll be getting my math endorsement.  


I'm taking Calculus this semester.  


Yes, say it with me: "Mellissa is taking Calculus?"  


No, you did it wrong.  There's not supposed to be a question mark on the end of that sentence, there's supposed to be an exclamation point!


"Mellissa is taking Calculus!"  Hooray, Hazzah, Woohoo!


Never in a million years did I think I'd enjoy math.  But I've realized I love it. And I actually know what I'm doing!  And it helps that I've had great teachers in college.  Too bad they can't clone themselves and teach high school kids.  I don't know about you, but I had LOUSY math teachers in high school!


So the month of August will be crazy busy, but I love crazy.  It's in my blood and bones.  Literally.  (If you know my parents, you know I'm not joking)


Oh, and did I happen to mention I get to buy school supplies?

6 comments:

Kendra said...

That's awesome! I have to say, I love math too. Algebra is my favorite. Followed by geometry.

julie said...

I can't believe you're going to have a kid in high school! You are so old. :)

Congrats on going back to school and on knowing what you want to study - that's more than half the battle, in my opinion.

My high school math teachers were the same as yours and yes, they were awful. I learned to love math in college, too.

Mills Family said...

oh, so i needed to read your post today because it is helping me to get excited (instead of dreading) school starting up again! I LOVE summer!!!! not school!!! I think it's because my kids homework kills me all year long! So, I will just say that ME and my daughter will be in 10th grade this year. And ME and my son will be in 5th grade this year. I am NOT looking forward to all the homework. uggg. But, I will try and stay positive and your post is helping me to try and think excitedly about school starting up in just a few short weeks. And then the countdown to summer begins again. Oh, and did I mention that I also have a job and am a mom and etc., etc., etc. I can't wait until my kids are graduated from Highschool so that my school days are also finally over!!...oh...until grandkids. Please tell me that we don't also have to help the grandkids with homework....!!!! :)

Lea said...

Thanks for sharing! Loved your post and it is great to hear what you are up to. You know the main reason I decided to be a school teacher is so I could buy SCHOOL CLOTHES each year!! :-)

tearese said...

I always was excited about classes and supplies too, who cares about other kids! I hope you enjoy school this year!

The Butterfields said...

Calculus is my favorite mouth - and good for you for taking it! I was that person in Staples the other day. . . and then I felt bad when I finally checked out and realized all the "helpful" employees were just trying to get me out the door when asking if I needed anything - they had closed 15 minutes earlier. oops!