Friday, July 2, 2010

Melanie's Summer Concert

Melanie participated in summer band during the month of June. She had a great time. The band was small, about 12-15 kids, but they all wanted to be there, which made the teacher happier and the students happier. Melanie plays percussion and has really enjoyed it. She's planning on continuing with it through middle and high school.

Here is Melanie with her sweet, best friend, Lindsey. Lindsey plays percussion as well. This year there were two beginning bands and Melanie and Lindsey were not in the same section, but next year they will be in the same band class and they're both excited for that.


Here's a little pre-performance silliness starring Riley. We took this first picture, but he complained because his whole head wasn't in the frame, so then we took the next one...
and he was perfectly happy with this one. Granted, you can see up his little nose and his eyes are a little crazy, but that's just Riley!

Here is Melanie's cute group of band friends. From left to right: Lindsey, Melanie, Morgan, Sancie. Aren't they cute? Don't they look like trouble? I think so.


And here's one of their songs. My camera isn't the greatest, but it did a good job of capturing them. The song is called "The Bullfighter" and Melanie had a blast playing it. Lindsey is playing xylophone on the left, Melanie is playing bells in the middle (she played xylophone on the previous song, but that song isn't as cool as this one), and Clay is playing the marimba on the right. Mr. Jordan, Canyon View High's band director, came over to work with these three percussionists, and he is accompanying them on the piano. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Mom Hunt said...

Thanks for posting it since we didn't make it there. The movie was great. Thanks again.

Mills Family said...

Yes Missy, that was so fun to see the pics and watch the movie of the summer concert. What fun. I use to be in the band. I played the flute when I was Melanie's age. Then, I went to the "dark side" and joined the orchestra in the 7th grade where I stayed clear up through college. Oh, I have always loved being in the orchestra/band! I miss it still! It is so fun to see melanie and linds together enjoying things like this! It's so great to know that our kids have good friends who are good kids huh! Hey, that pic of you and Rhiley is so dang cute!

julie said...

Oh that's awesome! I'm glad she's in band and is enjoying it. I can't imagine my life if I wouldn't have been in band for middle school and high school. All my friends (YOU!) were in band too so it was fantastic.

It was great seeing Lindsey! I haven't seen her since I quit my last job. Boy, those girls are sure growing up!

Mellissa said...

Jeanne - The concert was fun. Riley even enjoyed it. He was happy he didn't have to cover his ears. :)

Lisa - You did go to the dark side, you string plucker you. ;) I'm so glad Lindsey is also playing percussion, because it helps Melanie enjoy it even more. We're so lucky to have her for a friend. We do miss your Jayme, though.

Julie - She is really enjoying band, and I'm so glad she's in it with Lindsey. It would be great if they both stuck with it for the rest of their schooling. I'm sure they'd have just as good of laughs as we did. Maybe not root-beer-shooting-out-your-bellybutton-fun, but pretty close. ;)

tearese said...

Wow, talk about your kids looking old..in that one with her friends, they look like they could be in high school! That is crazy you have a daughter that age. Ben did percussion too, didn't he?
Riley is cute, its weird that he's the same age as Elora. Does he make the cutoff for kindergarten, or are you waiting another year?

Mellissa said...

Tearese - Yeah, Melanie will be 12 next month and is going to Girls' Camp this summer! I try not to think about it. And yes, Ben played percussion, so she's loving (and so is he) following in his footsteps. Riley misses the kindergarten cut off by two stinking days! Out of all my kids he's by far the closest to being ready for kindergarten. But he'll be off to preschool and then kindergarten in a year. He'll be the oldest in his grade, just like Carter, whereas Melanie's the youngest.

tearese said...

yeah, Elora's birthday is in October, and she can write her name and read about a dozen words...guess she'll be the smarty pants next year! I can already tell Josh won't be nearly that prepared, and I feel bad people will think they're only a year apart instead of about two (he starts the year after she does.)