Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Small Concern at the Dentist

Yesterday I took a trip to the dentist. It had been almost one year since I had visited the dentist's office, so it was high time for a cleaning from the dental hygienist. She was a nice woman, good at the typical small talk you'd hear in the dentist's office. Except for one strange comment.

She was cleaning and inspecting my teeth and gums and noticed the bridge I have. "Wow, that's a really nice bridge. You can't even tell from the front that there's a crown or anything," she said with her fingers in my mouth. "Did Dr. Sorensen do that or someone else," she asked, still with her fingers in my mouth. What is it with people at the dentist's office asking you questions with their fingers in your mouth?!

Slipping her gloved fingers out of my mouth, she gave me a second to respond. "No, it wasn't Dr. Sorensen, it was Dr. Williams," I replied. (Sadly, Dr. Williams passed away a few years ago.)

Then she said, "Before he died?"

Seriously?

It's a good thing her fingers were back in my mouth, because I'm afraid my sarcasm would have got the better of me at that point. And it's not a good idea to be sarcastic with someone who is inspecting your gums and your teeth with a sharp implement.

p.s. No cavities!

7 comments:

Lea said...

1: Sick you have no cavities how unfair is that!!!

2: Good for you no cavities!

3: (Before he was dead?)Ha ha ha ha ha! That is the funniest thing I have heard all day! What color was her hair?!!

tearese said...

Dr Williams was MY dentist too!!! I was so sad when he died. I haven't gone regularly since then either, I think I may have only been twice...or was it once?
I don't dislike the dentist, it just costs too much when nothings wrong!

Anonymous said...

That's just too funny! Did it seem like she ever caught on... that what she said would not be possible?

Mellissa said...

Lea - Don't yell at me, yell at your brother. I didn't have any cavities this visit but I have before. Your brother, on the other hand, has never had a cavity! And, she was blond.

Tearese - I liked Dr. Williams. He was always really nice. We're lucky to have good insurance or I might not go as often.

Sarah - She never even acted like what she said was slightly strange. It was pretty funny.

loriallen said...

Man, she must believe insome serious voodoo!! Maybe you should try the whole stuffed dentist thing and get some free work from beyond the other side! Shylee and I belly laughed! That is hilarious!!It's Ok if I spelled voodoo wrong. I still feel good with myself, because I wasn't the one that asked the silly question about the bridge!

julie said...

That's funny! I'd laugh harder but I'm SO guilty of staying stupid things without thinking...often...everyday...hourly maybe. :)

Thanks for sharing this story - laughter really is the best medicine. :)

Mills Family said...

Missy! That post was the funniest ever!!!!! Oh, man! Ok....so ...seriously, I could have been the one assisting Dr. Williams when your bridge work was done? Heidi and me were Dr. Williams dental assistants. Do you remember who was assisting? Heidi is dark hair. Well,i just remembered that, actually, there was one more assistant that was hired a couple years before his death. Anyway, I miss him. Hey, I miss you too!! I'll check in again later to see what else is new with you and your cute fam :)