These first couple of weeks have been like an intermittent tornado - I keep getting put up and down and up and down until I don't know which way is which. I think the three-day weekend (Hallelujah!) helped me get my schoolwork, housework, churchwork, in order...at least for the time being.
I figured I'd stick with tradition and give you all a run down of my classes.
Critical Literature & Theory - The name alone gives me the heebee jeebees. (I love the way that is spelled! Just looking at it made me giggle!) I like the professor. She is really appreciative of class discussion and never makes anyone feel (OK, I never feel) inferior with their comments. I worry about that because I think I never know as much as I should. Sometimes we talk in circles in that class. Like right now, I'm supposed to be reading Kant, some dead guy who is talking, or I would say babbling, about the "Sublime." I can't even go down that path right now or my post would be ridiculously long. Suffice it to say I really don't care what some dead guy said about defining the sublime. And that's why I'm posting instead of reading his...manure. Sorry Kant lovers.
Educational Psychology - You know, I really love psychology. I find the behavior of the human mind and the reason and chemistry behind our behaviors fascinating. I do NOT in any way, shape, or form find this class fascinating. The other day my status on facebook said something to the effect of why professors who teach education are really terrible educators. It was this teacher. Oi vay! Let's just say I get a lot of homework done in that class.
Advanced Poetry - It's good. We workshop our poetry on Thursdays. I love getting feedback from my friends and fellow students about my work, so I love Thursdays. Tuesdays we respond to the reading we were assigned. Each student will take a day to lead the discussion. I dread my turn. I'm not a deep reader. I'll have to read my section several times in order to generate questions. But the writing is good. A lot of writing, but it's all good. Well, it's not always good or all good, but you know what I mean.
Young Adult Literature - The best class and definitely one of the best teachers I've ever had. Seriously, we get to read 10 YA novels and discuss them. This class also gives each student the chance to lead. We're all assigned a certain portion from one of the books for the semester and then we take 20 to 30 minutes to present and teach the class according to our need. Elementary Ed, Secondary Ed, College, Creative Writing. It's great. I'm nervous for my turn, but I get to teach an excerpt from The Hobbit. Yay! Any questions you have about Creative Writing? Especially about The Hobbit?
I also was asked to be a grader for my poetry professor. Seriously, I get paid to read and respond to the Intro to Creative Writing students' work. Nice. :)
7 comments:
You have a nice load there. You asked to be a grader? I'm not a rocket science, well I guess I should say, I'm no Poetry/Creative Writing/English?Grammar Expert, but that is a nice compliment (and yes, at least I know that the phrase "i'm no.....is incorrect:)! You are talented at this and don't ever sell yourself short. It does, however make me a bit tired just looking at the list of classes:)Maybe that means that I am not ready to return for my Masters yet!!!
Questions for the Hobbit - What are the key elements Tolkein incorporated in his world building that make it believable? Which details do you learn through reading and not because the writer took a page to describe every detail? Are there any parts of this created world that are inconsistent? Is the pacing appropriate for those who are most likely to read this? Does it still work as a book for older readers? What techniques are implemented that allow this to be read and enjoyed by more than one age group?
I really want to take this class- heard they may be teaching it over the summer. Good luck with all your classes, and seriously, if you need help with anything, let me know.
Also, I'm a NERD and LOVED the critical theory and literature class when I took it. Best piece of advice? BREATHE.
Missy, it was fun to catch up a bit with you as I read through your post here this morning for a few minutes. I miss you. You have always been someone that I've looked up to. And, after reading this post, I am in awe once again! You are really amazing how you handle your load of "things to do" every day. I love reading about your classes and what you are feeling about them. It makes me laugh at your comments about some of them!! lol! Well, I'm excited to jump on your blog again here soon again and see what you're up to!
sounds like a fun semester, in general. Yeah, I got to read the essays from the non-art major art history class for my college job, it was actually pretty fun.
I took a few Psych. classes at SUU, I wonder if you have one of the same teachers I did? Probably not.
I would probably actually like the Critical Literature class, I at least liked that stuff in AP English- guess it depends on the teacher.
I would be terrified to lead a class discussion in college-good luck!
As for the YA class- Kiera is trying to figure out a way to get a PHD in that-seriously. Sounds like a cool class!
Lori - No, I didn't ask to be a grader, she asked me. And I did take it as a compliment whether or not she meant it that way! :) Just take your Masters one class at a time.
Tasha - Fabulous questions. Thank you, thank you. Kyle is an amazing teacher. He did mention that they are teaching it over the first session for Summer. I'd do it. It's great. I do enjoy the critical lit class, it just seems like we're not getting anywhere. And if I had some history/background about the philosophers it would help me out.
Lisa - I'm glad I'm entertaining. I was surprised I found time to update my blog! Don't ask my kids about the facade I have of keeping it together - they'll tell you the truth. So will my dirty toilets and sticky kitchen floor. ;)
Tearese - I really think I will enjoy doing the grading. The teacher I don't enjoy isn't from the Psychology department, he's from the Education department, which is why his atrocious teaching rubs me so wrong. I'm sure Kiera would be able to find a PhD in that really soon. The genre has really exploded in the past few years. The class is great. Anyone who enjoys YA literature would like it.
I honestly don't know how you manage everything...even if your toilets aren't immaculate and your kitchen floor is sticky, you still manage to keep a lot of balls up in the air!
I love hearing about your classes! Your comments are so witty and make me laugh. Congrats on being asked to be a reader! I'd definitely take that as a compliment!
Happy studies!
hey so I sent you an invite to my blog because I made it private but not sure if I had your right email address so if you want to email me you address or leave it on here that would be great.
Post a Comment