Friday, January 29, 2010

New English Major at SUU and Poetry Stuff

It's so very exciting that the Board of Regents passed the vote for a new English major at SUU. The English department now offers something similar to a double major, but with slightly fewer credits. It is a Creative Writing/English Education Emphasis. It's a little bit of creative writing, a little bit of English education, and a little bit of literature.

My college professor/friend mentioned it to me last year and I was interested but didn't know how soon it would be available. It will officially be in the catalog for the 2010-2011 school year. So, I'll have to change my major, again, but not departments. :)

A friend of mine was teasing me about how many times I changed my major (technically, I just went back and forth a few times) and she said the reason why I had changed so many times is because they had not created my major yet! Makes perfect sense to me.

Saturday, January 30 is the last day of the Parowan Gap exhibit, so if you haven't had a chance to see it, well, you should get your fanny over there and do so. It was such a neat experience. Especially when fellow students and I were asked by my professor to come to her Intro to Creative Writing class and read our poetry. It was so surreal. I just remember how much I wanted a poem of mine to be on those walls, and it was! It was a very rewarding experience, and it truly helped solidify the knowledge that I'm in the right major/department/area, whatever you'd like to call it. And I have to say it's about time I feel that way!

p.s. It's truly creepy how much what I'm learning in critical theory is coming into poetry. One of the essayists has mentioned three of the philosophers or theorists we have been or will be studying. And these theory ideas have come up several times in YA literature. I am really beginning to love my major! Now, if only my friends at school would stop acting like high schoolers life would be good.

3 comments:

loriallen said...

Feel free to take a pic of your poem on the wall and let me see it:) I want to experience the feeling, as if I was there, admiring my friend's work! Super cool on the major, so why didn't they ever come up with a free spirited-stay-at-home-likes-to-sing-and-get-educated degree, for me? I miss you, too much....
PS it looks like Monticello may be our new home in a year and a half!!!

Lea said...

So happy for you that you have found a Major just for you! So exciting it is so nice when something fits just right into your life and plan! So your friend said she might be moving to Monticello you could come visit us then her that is only two hours from us! (wink wink)

Mills Family said...

Missy, that is awesome that they now have the exact Major that you want to be in. I think it souncs just perfect for your interests! Yes, would you take a picture of your poem so that we can see it too?-