It's been so long since I've posted, I feel like my blog is something from my distant past. Well, as distant past as a 33-year-old can have.
This month was really crazy. With parties, concerts, and plain ol' celebrating, December normally gets that way, but my family had other interesting plans to throw in the mix.
My grandpa passed away this month. It was sad to think about him not being with us, but it's been 26 years this month (my grandma also passed away in December) since he's been without my grandma. And they were as tight as two peas in a pod could be. One of my cousins who spoke at the funeral mentioned how we always said, "Grommie and Gromps," (my oldest brother was their first grandchild, and he couldn't say grandma or grandpa, so they were christened with those two terms of endearment). And my cousin was right; it was never one without the other. I will miss him, but I am so happy he is reunited with my grandma. And I'll see them both again. ;)
Unfortunately, the other family news was not good. Did anyone happen to see on the news the house that burned down on the 21st of December, over on 100 East? Well, that was my grandpa's house. And it burned down the day before his funeral. My niece was living there and her friend was living in the basement. They all got out fine but the house is a total loss. They were able to salvage a few things. She had her phone with her, her guitar was a little smoked and needs new strings, and miraculously her laptop (with all of her beautiful photography and music on it) opened up bright and cheerful with 95% battery power! My niece hasn't had the easiest life, and that's putting it mildly, but I am constantly amazed at her strength and her shining resilience through adversity. She is such a good example to me.
There's always a silver lining to a cloud, though. It was inspiring to see the love, support, and assistance given to my niece. Food, clothes, towels, blankets, crafts, money, gifts. All these things came pouring into her life from sweet friends, neighbors, and strangers whose hearts were full of giving. I'm sure they felt peace and joy as they willing gave to one who was without. I know they felt the love of our Savior through their service. Thank you to all who helped and are still helping her get where she needs to be. You are constant in my thoughts and prayers.
You'd think that would be enough going on in my life, but you'd be wrong. What time wasn't spent seeing family for the funeral and helping my niece sort some things out was spent down on my knees in prayer. Not that that was a bad thing! It was just a different thing. The week before my grandpa passed away I was called to be the Primary President. I'm very humbled to think Heavenly Father has faith in me to fulfill this calling and serve those Primary children. Thus, the plentiful time spent in prayer. It has been an anxious, nervous, and exciting time. I love teaching and doing sharing time. It's my most favorite part of the calling. Those kids are so anxious to share their testimonies and what they know about the gospel and about Jesus that you can't help but catch their excitement. It's wonderful! The hardest part for me, and I knew it would be from the moment my bishop called me to this calling, is being patient in listening to the Holy Ghost. It has always been a struggle for me. But I have made some changes in my life and my heart that I hope and pray will make room for the Holy Ghost.
I hope all of you had a Merry Christmas and plan on having a Happy New Year!
10 comments:
Wow! What an update. Sorry to hear about your grandfather and the house. :(
You will be an AMAZING Primary President. You are seriously the FOURTH person in the past few weeks whom I know has been called as Primary president. It is weird to think we are at that age/stage in life!!! :)
Missy, I have been wondering how you are since I havn't seen any posts for a while. I knew that it was the busiest time of the year...and I just hoped that that was all that was keeping your time and attention away from the blogging scene. But, I am in awe of how much has actually been taking place in your world. I'm so sorry and felt so much saddness reading about your niece and the house burning down....and it being just a day before your grandpa's funeral. I can't even imagine. I was just here shaking my head back and forth. I'll keep your niece in my thoughts and prayers. I did love how you talked about your grandparents. I have the dearest memories of my own as well. You will miss him, but will see them both again for certain. Missy, you are an amazing person. I know you will do just as the Lord needs you to do with the primary group in your ward. You are such a fun and well organized gifted person. And, you're wrong...you recognize the spirit and are a very spiritual person. You'll do just amazing! I wish my family was still there and could have your influence in the primary organization (or at least Trey...since Jayme is well into YW) Missy, Happy New Year!!! Chat with ya soon!!!...and I'll keep you in my prayers too because I know it's a little scary to have a new calling come into our life :)
Dearest Mellissa -
I'm sorry to hear that you have had a stroke of sadness in the last little while. Cheer up though, things can only get better!
Lots of Love,
Lauren
Wow! Primary President?! What's Primary?
Only kidding... I say that 'cuz I go to a singles ward... no primary, young men/women, or that sort of thing. :)
I think you'll be great!
Julie - Thank you. That's funny that so many people you know have been called to that position. Another ward in our building got a new Primary presidency the same time our ward did. It's so weird to think we're at that stage. Where kids are getting older and there aren't any more being added to the family. It's such a weird transition that I don't know what to do with myself sometimes.
Lisa - Yeah, I was just having trouble getting anything out of my head to write about. Things are going better with the fire and all. Primary was crazy yesterday, and I truly appreciate the prayers on my behalf. They are sorely needed!
Lauren - Thank you! Things are much better now, and hopefully will continue to do so.
Sarah - I went to the singles' ward once, I think, and I wasn't a big fan. But I wasn't very comfortable with my testimony at that time either. I'm sure it's loads of fun, I just didn't give it or myself a chance. :) But I would miss Primary. Those kids can be spiritual and silly all in one breath!
Sounds like you have a one busy month. Hopefully everything will settle down for you.
Primary President, what a GREAT calling! I know that my kids LOVE their presidency and that makes a world of difference for them. You will do GREAT in it!
The children are SO blessed to have you as a wonderful example and leader in Primary. Sweet about your grandparents. There have been moments I couldn't imagine being connected at the hip with my hubby, but now I hope and pray my Grandkids say you would never see the one without the other. THat's a blessing and a beautiful example of love. The silver lining....sorry about the home, but wonderful how everyone is rising to the occasion. I love you and your family.
My mom called me while we were in WA and told me about the funeral and the burning house, I can't believe I forgot to check in and see how you were doing. What a hard time for your family, and especially your niece.
Good luck in your new calling, I'm sure you'll do great!
I agree with everyone else, you'll be a wonderful Primary President! I remember being in YWs with you and talking about how we'd die if we were ever Primary President. So funny! Now, I think I'd actually quite enjoy it. I loved teaching Primary.
I'm sorry about your grandpa and his house. Thank heavens for our knowledge of an afterlife and forever families. What peace that brings.
I'm glad you didn't fall off the face of the planet. I miss you and would love to see you sometime. I have no idea when, but maybe if we keep our minds open, maybe we can find a time.
Happy New Years!
I may have fallen off the face of the planet, too! How did I go so long without reading this?
All I can say is 'Wow'.
That is a lot to go through in a short amount of time (although it usually happens that way).
You will be a great Primary President! Thank you for sharing your spiritual moments. You're amazing!
Post a Comment