Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cedar Canyon

Our family took a little drive up Cedar Canyon Monday afternoon for FHE. We stopped at a few of the lookouts and just enjoyed driving together. Thank goodness, none of my kids get carsick. Although, Carter was, as Melanie put it, "The Boy Who Cried Puke."

We stopped just a few miles up the canyon where the road is two lanes for the slower traffic. There is a little waterfall at the top of that part of the road and we pulled over to let the kids watch the water. It was flowing cold and fast and noisily!

I get to claim this beautiful girl as my own. She's such a funny kid. I love her easy, shy smile.And then there's my extremely cheesy almost-8-year-old. His smile says it all. Silly, silly, silly.
Then there's Riley. He just...does what he wants most of the time. He's definitely the child who has spent the most time in time-out. But he's also ridiculously smart and clever, and can reason his way out of most situations. And this is the picture that greets me every time I use my cell phone. It reminds me how incredibly blessed I am to have a family and also what wonderful, amazing, bright, and loving children I have!

9 comments:

Erin Shakespear said...

I love the pictures of your kids! They are so darn cute. :)

And that waterfall is lovely. I think we need to be taking us a trip up the canyon, too.

Mom Hunt said...

Looks like fun. I've been thinking of a canyon trip also.

Mellissa said...

Erin - Thanks! I made them myself, the kids that is. Well, I had a little help... ;) I was surprised how well my little cell phone camera did. I'm no photographer, but I found out lighting makes all the difference. The canyon was great. You should get up there soon and see all the snow left on the top of the mountain before it melts.

Jeanne - It was a great drive. The snowpack was crazy!

tearese said...

cute pictures! We need to start going on drives again...too bad gas costs so much!

Laurel said...

I miss that drive.
Great pics of your kids. So cute!

Lea said...

Looks like a fun trip! Cute kids can't wait to see you all!

Amy said...

Why is it that every time you say such wonderful things about your kids I am jealous that you are a mom? ;)

Mills Family said...

I love this post. I love cedar mountain. And, I just love those cute pics of your kids!! What fun you had on that spontaneous drive together!! The kids love family time spent like that-

Mellissa said...

Amy - Because my kids are awesome, that's why. That, and a good, healthy dose of humor and sarcasm are the only ways to make parenthood enjoyable!

Lisa - They had so much fun. Riley is still talking about Cedar Breaks.